Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.

I have a Antonius Stradiuarius Cremonensis Faciebat Anno 17

I have a Antonius Stradiuarius Cremonensis Faciebat Anno 17 - Made in Germany

It has a symbol stamped inside that has Bruno written above and it looks like NY below the symble. All of the above is written inside the violin.

How do I know how much it is worth and who do I take it to that I can trust.

I live in Camden, SC
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Diana F. replied 5 years ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer.

It's probably a copy of the Stradivarius. There were quite a few makers out of Europe that replicated the old Stradivarius violins. They were especially popular around the early 1900s. Tens of thousands of violins were made in factories and workshops throughout Europe, all bearing the label of Stradivari. Don't think they were meant to be sold as fakes, but most were simply put out as a sort of recognition and as an honor to bear the Strad. name.

It might still have some value. You could see about fixing it. I've seen a few sell recently for between $150 and $300 when in great shape. They make great beginner and student violins.

If you're looking to sell it, you can try listing it someplace like Ebay, but keep in mind that Ebay tends to run about 25% less than some other places. You can also contact a local music about placing it on consignment.

You can also run ads in your local craigslist.

For an appraisal, you really want someone from the American Federation of Violin and Bow Makers to view it. Unfortunately there aren't any members in South Carolina. The closest to you would probably be:

Pasewicz String Instrument Inc
4911 Waters Edge Drive
Raleigh, NC 27606

If I can be of any further help, don't hesitate to contact me. Please click accept (at no further cost to you) if I have been of any help, since this is the only way we are compensated by JA.

Thanks and have a great day,