Appraiser Alan AOA C
Appraiser Alan AOA C, Appraiser & Adjuster
Experience:  Hello, my name's Alan! I'm a 14 year Appraiser with AOA appraisers, ISA & IRS Qualified, and 5 year Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster with 30+ Years Collecting & Dealing.
53896401

I have a 1914 Anniversary Grand Chickering rebuilt, excellent

Customer Question

I have a 1914 Anniversary Grand Chickering rebuilt, excellent sound, beautiful interior, with large piano bench with room for storage.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Appraiser Alan AOA C replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Personal Property Appraiser specializing in Musical Instruments and I am here to help!

Using my resources to look into your inquiry, I was able to find that your piano and bench have a current market value of $1,200 - $1,500 USD at auction or in a private sale.

I hope this answers your question! If you are satisfied with my answer, please click “ACCEPT” so JustAnswer will credit me for my time & work (at no further cost to you). Thanks!

Sincerely,

Alan C. Ransdell, ISA AM, AOA AM, CA

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A Certified Chickering Revbuilder said since fewer than 100 were made of my piano he had previously appraised ours at $60,000. Since he & I realize the situation concerning piano sales is at a extremely low point we realize that amount is out of question. Our man personally trained for 4 years with a private Chickering rebuilder as Chickering has been out-of-business for a number of years.

So, though we thank you sincerely XXXXX XXXXX reply we do not accept it.

God Bless

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe that the value you were give was for insurance purposes where the value I gave was for Fair market value. The difference is that FMV is usually 1/4 to 1/5 less than Replacement cost which would place a value of about $12k for resale. Sadly they are not even that high at the moment as my value was based off of recent auctions which put them in the value range given. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs. Thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Alan C. Ransdell, ISA AM, AOA AM, CA

Experience: Hello, my name's Alan! I'm a 14 year Appraiser with AOA appraisers, ISA & IRS Qualified, and 5 year Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster with 30+ Years Collecting & Dealing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have verified that 1500 were produced in 1914 (which included all uprights,& grands) however only 50 Anniv. Grands were built.. Presidents who have had Chickerings are Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, Abraham Lincoln, Grover Cleveland and Teddy Roosevelt. In 1914 the Anniversary Grand put the United States in 1st Place in pianos. The rebuilder told us (cert. writing): "What a beautiul piano you have, it is one of the finest pianos I've ever rebuilt in my 40 years as a piano rebuilder." We are in our 80's, 63 years of marriage, and so want to find a good home for our treasure. We certainly appreciate your time and answer and wish you the best in the future. God Love You! Hubert & Dorothy
same to you, have a nice day.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Answer was a bit abrupt. We will pay and get out of your way.

I think I have made a big mistake here sorry long day I was thinking upright is your piano a concert grand in red mahagony? When was it rebuilt?

Sincerely,

Alan

the answer to your question is it would bring $20,000 - $30,000 USD in an auction or private sale I saw one that was reconditioned in the year in red mahogany that retailed for $40,000. I hope this helps sorry for the misunderstandings on my part and thank you for your patients.

Sincerely,

Alan