Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA.

I donated my Lowrey C-500 Celebration console organ to Goodwill

I donated my Lowrey C-500 Celebration console organ to Goodwill Industries in 2010. Can you give me the Blue Book value of this instrument?

Thank you.

Hi Nancy, welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question! I'm happy to look into this for you. Right off the bat I can assure you the price will be nowhere near the value it was appraised for last year, that price was simply incorrect. Also, keep in mind that if you need this appraisal for tax purposes then I can give you an approximate value but it will not be "official" as far as th IRS is concerned. You would need to get a written appraisal in person for that. If you would still like me to continue with this please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello, B. Taylor. I donated the organ before I realized I should have had it appraised in writing. But my tax preparer suggested that I try to get a ballpark estimate via the Internet. So, yes, I would like to know the value of the organ.

Thanks for your reply. Home organs were very expensive in their hay day back in the 60's and 70's. Lowrey has always been a company that makes home organs exclusively. They are definitely the most expensive of the home organ manufacturers. Some of the organs today cost over $60,000 new. When appraising an organ like this I take into account the instrument itself as well as the market.

Unfortunately, these instruments don't carry much value anymore. The main reasons for that are age and market. Most of these instruments are 30-40 years old and the electronics show significant signs of age. This is the age where they start needing a lot of repairs and those often cost more than the value of the organ. The market is also much smaller than it has ever been before. Having an organ at home is no longer something people want. There are simply tons of these kinds of instruments on the market right now, all of the US and not too many buyers for them.

On to price. Most home organs from this era sell for around the same amount of money, between $100-$300. The range covers extra features and accounts for condition. Since Lowrey is a big name in the home organ business with a good reputation and since the C500 was built a little better than others in its time I would value this organ a bit higher, at approximately $350. If you were selling it for that much it would probably take a while to sell, but I'm confident for your purposes that this is a fair and appropriate value to place on the instrument. I'm happy to answer any follow up questions you may have and I wish you the best!

Important! When you placed a deposit to ask a question, that amount was withdrawn from your bank account and placed in your Just Answer account. That money remains there and I am not paid until you press the ACCEPT button. Once I have satisfactorily answered your question, please press ACCEPT as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research I have personally given your question. If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!