Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA.

We gave our Kimball consolette piano to our daughter and her

We gave our Kimball consolette piano to our daughter and her family so that her children could take piano lessons. We purchased the piano from a neighbor in 1973 and assumed it was probably 10 - 20 years old at the time. Except for the 2 years that it was in storage, it has been cared for. Before lessons, it needed to be tuned. Now we have learned that it needs the hammers restored. Is it worth the $600. quote that has been given to repair the hammers and tune it?
Thanks, Linda
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 5 years ago.
Hi thanks for your question! Please give me a few minutes to look into values for you and I'll be back in touch shortly.
Hi, thanks for your patience. The short answer to your question is "no". You probably wouldn't even be able to sell the piano for $600 in excellent condition, simply because of its age. Cosmetic condition can be maintained pretty easily but the mechanics of a piano will age even with regular maintenance. A 50 year old piano would need restoration to be in excellent condition, and having the hammers repaired or replaced would be part of that. I would recommend selling the piano and purchasing a newer one. In most cases, even one that's 20-25 years old would be in much better shape due to age alone. The only way I would recommend having the hammers restored is if this piano had significant sentimental value to you and you needed it to be in top playing condition. I hope this helps, best wishes!

Important! When you opened a question and placed a deposit on this site, the value of the question was removed from your bank account and placed into your Just Answer account. I do not get paid until you press the Accept button and that deposit is finally moved out of your Just Answer account.

Once I have satisfactorily answered your question, please press ACCEPT as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research I personally put into your individual question. If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!