Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.

I have an Alvarez Deluxe Banjo that I believe is from 1971.

Customer Question

I have a 5 string Alvarez Deluxe Banjo that I believe is from 1971 but not sure. I can not find the serial number stamp or serial number sticker. The head stock: has an abalone Alvarez name and design(in center), 4 tuning keys with large tapered metal buttons, the rod cover says deluxe and has a sea horse picture on it.  The tuning key on the neck has a medium sized oval shaped metal button. The fretboard has inlayed bowties.  It has an adjustable tail piece with buck picture engraving.  It has a straight neck and is in good used condition other than a few nicks and scratches. Also have the original hard case. The case is brown tolex outside and lavender inside with an orange hinge strap. Most the other cases seem to have yellow or gold inside?  The case is in good condition. I think I have the original purchase ticket that shows it was $375 new.  I can take pictures of the instrument if needed. How much is the banjo and case worth?  Where would the serial number be located?  I know a good amount about guitars but not much about banjos.  Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal