linda_us
linda_us, Master's Degree
Experience:  A tutor for Business, Finance, Accounts and other related topics.
19873544

BioCom was founded in 1993, when several scientists and

Customer Question

BioCom was founded in 1993, when several scientists and engineers at a large fiber-optic-cable company began to see that optical fiber for the telecommunications industry was becoming a cheap commodity. They decided to start their own firm, which would specialize in cutting-edge applications for research in the life sciences and medical instruments. BioCom is now one of the leading firms in its niche field. BioCom’s management attributes the firm’s success to its ability to stay one step ahead of the market’s fast-changing technological needs. Almost as important is BioCom’s ability to select high-value-added projects and avoid commercial disasters.
Over lunch, BioCom’s director of research and development (R&D) mentioned to the CFO that one of his best young scientists had recently left the company because his line manager had rejected his project. Although not a pattern, R&D had experienced similar losses in the past. The two executives discussed the problem and agreed that if the R&D people understood the selection process better, they might come up with more commercially viable projects and understand the project’s financial implications. The CFO has asked his assistant, Jane Donato, to prepare a retreat for the R&D department to explain the company’s project selection procedures. Jane is encouraged by the thought that this group will have no trouble in following the math.
BioCom’s standard capital request form includes a narrative description of the project and the customer need that the company must fulfill. If the request originates with R&D, it then goes to the marketing department for a preliminary sales forecast and then to the production manager and cost analysts for cost estimates. If a proposal shows promise after these steps, it goes to the CFO, who has a staff member enter the data into a spreadsheet template. The template computes payback, discounted payback, net present value, internal rate of return, and modified internal rate of return. BioCom uses net present value as its primary decision criterion, but company executives believe that the other statistics provide some useful additional perspectives.
To explain BioCom’s capital budgeting techniques, Jane has decided to present the cash flows from two recent proposals: the nano test tube project and the microsurgery kit project. All figures are in thousands of dollars:
Time of Cash Flow Nano Test Tubes Microsurgery Kit
Investment -$11,000 -$11,000
Year 1 2,000 4,000
Year 2 3,000 4,000
Year 3 4,000 4,000
Year 4 5,000 4,000
Year 5 7,000 4,000
Answer the following questions based on the above information. Provided a detailed explanation on how you arrived at your solution and show your work.
Questions
1. Compute the payback period for each project.
2. Compute the discounted payback period for each project using a discount rate of 10%
3. Compute the net present value (NPV) for each project. BioCom uses a discount rate of 9% for projects of average risk.
4. Compute the internal rate of return (IRR) for each project.
5. Compute the modified internal rate of return (MIRR) for each project.
6. Explain to the R&D staff why Bio Com uses the NPV method as its primary project selection criterion.
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Multiple Problems
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Due November 18, 2016
Expert:  Donna Kakonge replied 29 days ago.

Dear Customer,

I can do this assignment for you by the deadline but I would need added payment on top of what you have already paid to do this accurately and thoroughly. It requires a lot of work. I will make an offer to you after this message.

Kindest regards,

Donna Kakonge, BJ, MA, TESOL, LLB, ABD

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thats all I can afford at thi stime. I will continue to give you business for the remainder of my semester and time in college.

Dear Customer,

OK. I will agree to that. Please remember to always request me: "Donna Kakonge" when you post your questions. When is your deadline for this assignment?

Kindest regards,

Donna

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
November 18 2016. And do I just put "This question is for Donna Kakonge only"?

Dear Customer,

Yes. That is how you would post future questions. Thank you. I will make note to have this done for November 18th.

Kindest regards,

Donna