linda_us, Master's Degree
Experience:  A tutor for Business, Finance, Accounts and other related topics.

I have a managerial economic problem I am stuck onJA: The

Customer Question

I have a managerial economic problem I am stuck on
JA: The Tutor can help you get an A on your homework or ace your next test. Tell us more about what you need help with so we can help you best.
Customer: Smyth Industries operated as a monopolist for the past several years, earning annual profits amounting to $50 million, which it could have maintained if Jones Incorporated did not enter the market. The result of this increased competition is lower prices and lower profits; Smyth Industries now earns $10 million annually. The managers of Smyth Industries are trying to devise a plan to drive Jones Incorporated out of the market so Smyth can regain its monopoly position (and profit). One of Smyth's managers suggests pricing its product 50 percent below marginal cost for exactly one year. The estimated impact of such a move is a loss of $1 billion. Ignoring antitrust concerns, answer the following question: If Smyth Industries engages in predatory pricing by slashing its price 50 percent below marginal cost, the present value of current and future profits is (when the interest rate was 5%):
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Tutor should know?
Customer: Answers options are:
-$100 million.
$100 million.
$200 million.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Tutor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Multiple Problems
Expert:  Johnmark1900 replied 6 months ago.
hellodo you still need assistance?