Bizhelp
Bizhelp, CPA
Experience:  BA degree and Certified Public Accountant
23848519

Hey Im try to figure out this question and Im confused. Janie

Customer Question

Hey Im try to figure out this question and Im confused.
Janie graduates from high school in 2015 and enrolls in college in the fall. Her parents (who file a joint return) pay $4,000 for her tuition and fees.a. Assuming Janie's parents have AGI of $170,000, what is the American Opportunity tax credit they can claim for Janie?
JA: The Tutor can help you get an A on your homework or ace your next test. Is there anything else important you think the Tutor should know?
Customer: My tax course Im taking is scaring me.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Tutor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Multiple Problems
Expert:  Bizhelp replied 7 months ago.
Hi,Thanks for your question. $180,000 AGI limit - $170,000 AGI = 10,000 / 20,000 phase-out = 0.5 multiplier$2000 + (($4000 qualified expenses - 2,000) x 25%) = 2000 + 500 =$2,500$2500 x 0.5 multiplier = $1,250 American Opportunity tax credit they can claim for Janie Hope this helps!