Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550

1. A device box will house three No. 16/3 cables (each cable

Customer Question

1. A device box will house three No. 16/3 cables (each cable contains three insulated No. 16 conductors and one bare ground conductor), one switch, three cable clamps, and a grounding wire. No conductors run through the box without splices. Technician A wants to use a 4 × 21/8 inch round outlet box, while Technician B says that a 411/16 × 11/4 inch square outlet box should be used. Which technician is correct if your goal is to install the minimum size outlet box allowed by the NEC?
A. Technician A
B. Technician B
C. Both Technician A and Technician B
D. Neither Technician A nor Technician B
FIGURE A-1—Use this illustration to answer Questions
2 and 3.
2. The loads in Figure A-1 are supplied by circuits on opposite legs of the service-entrance panel. If each load draws 30 amps, what is the current flow in the neutral wire?
A. 0 amps
B. 15 amps
C. 30 amps
D. 60 amps
3. If Load 1 in Figure A-1 is drawing 45 amps and Load 2 is drawing 20 amps, how much current is carried in the neutral wire?
A. 0 amps
B. 20 amps
C. 25 amps
D. 45 amps
FIGURE A-2—Use this illustration to answer Questions 4, 5, 6, and 7.
4. Look at the circuit illustrated in Figure A-2. Assume that the values of R1 and R2 are equal. If you connect your meter's test probes to points A and B in the circuit, which of the following voltages would you measure?
A. 9 V
B. 6 V
C. 3 V
D. 0 V
5. In the circuit shown in Figure A-2, where would you connect your meter's test probes to measure the full battery voltage?
A. To points D and E, or to points B and E
B. To points A and C only
C. To points D and E, or to points A and C
D. To points B and E only
6. In the circuit shown in Figure A-2, suppose that the value of R1 is 100 kΩ and the value of R2 is 470 kΩ. At which of the following locations in the circuit would you measure the highest voltage with your meter?
A. Between points A and C
B. Between points A and B
C. Between points B and C
D. Between points B and E
7. In the circuit shown in Figure A-2, suppose that the value of R1 is 500 kΩ. In order to obtain a multimeter reading of 1 V between points B and C in the circuit, the value of R2 would have to be
A. 10 kΩ.
B. 100 kΩ.
C. 1,000 kΩ.
D. 10,000 kΩ.
8. If an appliance is said to be continuously operating, this means the electrician should
A. consider the appliance to be permanently fixed and provide it with a suitable means of disconnection.
B. supply the appliance with a circuit sized so that 80 percent of the full-circuit capacity is greater than or equal to the appliance's current draw.
C. decrease the wire diameter to account for the additional resistance required.
D. always power the appliance with a pigtail-plug combination and never hardwire the appliance to a device box.
9. You're adding a new receptacle to an existing branch circuit and you find that the existing circuit contains aluminum conductors. The receptacle you're taking the power from is at the end of a run and is marked with the indication CU/AL. You want to route a copper cable from the existing device box to the new device box. You should replace the
A. end-of-the-run receptacle with one that's approved specifically for through wiring with copper.
B. receptacle with one labeled FOR ALUMINUM ONLY, connect short lengths of aluminum wire to the ends of the copper cable, and install the exiting and new aluminum wires to the receptacle.
C. existing receptacle with any new conventional receptacle, then attach the copper and aluminum conductors to any of the receptacle's screw and pressure terminals.
D. existing receptacle with one labeled CU/ALR, attach the aluminum conductors to the receptacle's screw terminals and insert the copper conductors into the pressure terminals.
10. Technician A says that troubleshooting parallel circuits is done by isolating a circuit component before measuring its resistance. Technician B says that measuring voltage in a series circuits is done by disconnecting each individual circuit component and testing it by itself. Which technician is correct?
A. Technician A
B. Technician B
C. Both Technician A and Technician B
FIGURE A-3—Use this illustration to answer Questions 11 and 12.
11. There are many types of electrical switches available. Which of the switches in Figure A-3 has two positions and can open or close a circuit through two wires at a time?
A. Switch A
B. Switch B
C. Switch C
D. Switch D
12. Technician A and Technician B don't agree on the type of switches needed to operate a ceiling light from two points in a room. Technician A says that you need to use two switches like the one shown in Figure A-3D. Technician B says that you need to use two switches like the one shown in Figure A-3B. Which technician is correct?
A. Technician A
B. Technician B
C. Both Technician A and Technician B
13. In order to directly measure _______ with a multimeter, you must break op
Category: Multiple Problems
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Greg.

Please be sure to rate my response as that is the only way that I receive credit for my help on these questions.

1-b

2-a

3-c

4-c

5-c

6-a

7-b

8-b

9-d

10-a

11-c

12-d

13-a

14-c

15-c

16-c

17-a

18-d

19-c

20-a

Let me know if any questions. Be sure to rate when satisfied as that is the only way I receive credit for my help on these questions. Have a wonderful week.

Thanks