linda_us
linda_us, Master's Degree
Experience:  Business Analyst and Solution Consultant with over 9 years of experience.
19873544

Chapter 4 1. Your brother is short on cash and cannot pay

Customer Question

Chapter 4
1. Your brother is short on cash and cannot pay his rent this month. You pay his rent for him. Is this taxable income to your brother? Do you get a deduction? (2 pts)

2. Which of the following items would be excluded from income? (a) $100 bill found under the sugar caddy at the restaurant (b) Inheritance of a car from your grandmother valued at $5,000. (c) Loan from your father-in-law to start your business, (d) Child Support received totaling $16,500. (4 pts)

Chapter 5
3. Shaun & Kayla earned the following in 2013: Interest on a Savings account of $36, Interest on a U.S. Series EE Savings Bond of $25, Interest on a CD that has not matured yet of $20. How much taxable interest income must they report on their 2013 tax return? (4 pts)

4. Explain what a Cafeteria Plan is (hint: it has nothing to do with what you eat between classes :-) ). (5 pts)

Chapter 6
5. Explain the limitations placed on the deductibility of Business Gifts? What code section dictates this treatment? (5 pts)
Chapter 7
1. In your "own" words, please describe what a "Suspended Loss" is, how it is generated and when it is becomes deductible. (5 pts)

2. Please describe "Active Participation" as it relates to a taxpayer's involvement in an investment in Real Estate. (5 pts).

Chapter 8
3. Macy had a lot of medical expenses this year that were not covered by her insurance (either due to a deductible, co-insurance, or co-pay). Her un-reimbursed qualifying medical expenses total $8,356 and her AGI for 2013 is $45,000. Assuming she will itemize on her 2013 tax return, how much of her medical expenses will she be able to deduct? (5 pts)

4. Heather & Terry have a mortgage on their primary residence of $750,000 and a mortgage on their vacation home of $410,000. In 2013, they incurred $46,400 of mortgage interest expense. How much, if any, of that interest is deductible on Schedule A? (5 pts)
Chapter 14
1. Please describe the concept of "double taxation" and discuss which entity(ies) are subject to this type of taxation. (5 pts)

2. What type of taxpayers are considered "eligible" taxpayers with regard to special ordinary loss treatment of IRC Section 1244 stock? (5 pts.)

3. Please describe how the treatment of capital gains(losses) differ for a C Corporation as compared to an Individual. ( 5 pts.)

4. Please describe the concept of "Depreciation recapture". ( 5 pts.)

Chapter 14
1. Please explain how Charitable Contributions come into play in determining "Corporate" taxable income. (5 pts)

2. What happens to a loss on the Corporate Tax Return (Form 1120)? Does it pass through to the shareholders? Is it available for future or past periods? Please explain in detail. (5 pts.)

3. Please describe the purpose of Sch3edules M-1 and M-3. When is a Schedule M-3 required in lieu of a Schedule M-1. (5 pts.)

Chapter 17
4. Please define and differentiate a Spin-off, Split-off, and Split-up. ( 5 pts.)
Chapters 10-11-12
1. Please explain the distinction between a "realized" gain and a "recognized" gain. (5 pts)

2. Are there any limits to the deductibility of losses on sales and exchanges between related parties? What code section defines this limitation? (5 pts.)

3. What is the basis of property received (i.e. new property) in a like-kind exchange? What is the holding period for the new asset? (5 pts.)

4. David purchased stock in Zoll Corporation in 1985 for $6,000. On April 16, 2013 he gifted the stock to his daughter Susan; at the time of the gift, the Zoll stock was valued at $250,000. Susan sold the stock the next month for $ 252,000. What is Susan's gain or loss and what is the character of the gain or loss? ( 5 pts.)

Chapter 21
1. Please explain how an S Corporation is created. (5 pts)

2. Please explain how Charitable Contributions made at the S-Corporation level are treated for tax purposes. (5 pts.)

3. How are fringe benefits received by an S Corporation Shareholder treated for tax purposes? (5 pts.)

4. Please explain "pass through" taxation. ( 5 pts.)
Category: Multiple Problems