Manal Elkhoshkhany
Manal Elkhoshkhany, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Completed by BA degree in 1988 and graduated with a GPA of 4.0
3708793

1. (TCO F) Computing unit product costs involves averaging

Customer Question

1. (TCO F) Computing unit product costs involves averaging in:

Job-Order Costing

Process Costing

A

Yes

No

B

Yes

Yes

C

No

Yes

D

No

No

(Points : 5)
Choice A.
Choice B.
Choice C.
Choice D.

All materials are added at the beginning of the process. The cost per equivalent unit for materials is closest to: (Points : 5)
$0.86
$0.90
$1.10
$1.18

4. (TCO F) Which of the following accounts is debited when direct labor is recorded? (Points : 5)
Work in process
Salaries and wages expense
Salaries and wages payable
Manufacturing overhead

5. (TCO F) Stickles Corporation incurred $79,000 of actual Manufacturing Overhead costs during August. During the same period, the Manufacturing Overhead applied to Work in Process was $75,000. The journal entry to record the incurrence of the actual Manufacturing Overhead costs would include a: (Points : 5)
debit to Manufacturing Overhead of $79,000.
credit to Manufacturing Overhead of $79,000.
credit to Work in Process of $75,000.
debit to Work in Process of $75,000.

6. (TCO F) Wedd Corporation had $35,000 of raw materials on hand on May 1. During the month, the company purchased an additional $68,000 of raw materials. During May, $92,000 of raw materials were requisitioned from the storeroom for use in production. These raw materials included both direct and indirect materials. The indirect materials totaled $5,000. The debits to the Work in Process account as a consequence of the raw materials transactions in May total: (Points : 5)
$92,000.
$0.
$68,000.
$87,000.

Page 2

2. (TCO F) Job 484 was recently completed. The following data have been recorded on its job cost sheet:

Direct materials

$57,240

Direct labor hours

1,692 DLHs

Direct labor wage rate

$12 per DLHS

Number of units completed

3,600 units

The company applies manufacturing overhead on the basis of direct labor-hours. The predetermined overhead rate is $24 per direct labor-hour.

Compute the unit product cost that would appear on the job cost sheet for this job. (Points : 15)

3. (TCO F) Miller Company manufactures a product for which materials are added at the beginning of the manufacturing process. A review of the company's inventory and cost records for the most recently completed year revealed the following information:

Units Materials Conversion
Work in process. Jan. 1 (80% complete with respect to conversion costs) 100,000 $100,000 $157,500
Units started into production 500,000
Costs added during the year:
Materials $650,000
Conversion $997,500
Units completed during the year 450,000

The company uses the weighted-average cost method in its process costing system. The ending inventory is 50% complete with respect to conversion costs.

Required:

i. Compute the equivalent units of production and the cost per equivalent units for materials and for conversion costs.

ii. Determine the cost transferred to finished goods.

iii. Determine the amount of cost that should be assigned to the ending work in process inventory. (Points : 15)

4. (TCO F) Weisinger Corporation has provided the following data for the month of January:

Inventories

Beginning

Ending

Raw materials

$28,000

$29,000

Work In process

$16,000

$14,000

Finished goods

$42,000

$54,000

Additional Information

Raw material purchases

$56,000

Direct labor costs

$87,000

Manufacturing overhead cost incurred

$51,000

Indirect materials included in manufacturing overhead costs incurred

$3,000

Manufacturing overhead cost applied to work in process

$55,000

Prepare a Schedule of Cost of Goods Manufactured and a Schedule of Cost of Goods Sold in good form. (Points : 15)
Category: Multiple Problems
Expert:  Manal Elkhoshkhany replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Working on the questions, but please advise your deadline

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need these before Midnight CST tonight.

Thanks
Nakia
Thank you Nakia, but the data for question 2 is missing' I would recommend you upload a file with the questions to www.mediafire.com then copy and paste the share link here. This way I can see the data

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Job-Order Costing Process Costing
A Yes No
B Yes Yes
C No Yes
D No No
(Points : 5)
Choice A.
Choice B.
Choice C.
Choice D.

2. (TCO F) Process costing would be appropriate for each of the following except: (Points : 5)
custom furniture manufacturing.
oil refining.
grain milling.
newsprint production.

3. (TCO F) Unizat Corporation uses the weighted-average method in its process costing system. The following information pertains to one of the company's processing departments for a recent month:

Units Material Cost
Beginning work in process 30,000 $22,000
Started during the month 80,000 $72,000
Units completed 85,000
Ending work in process 25,000

$0.86
$0.90
$1.10
$1.18

Work in process
Salaries and wages expense
Salaries and wages payable
Manufacturing overhead

credit to Work in Process of $75,000.
debit to Work in Process of $75,000.

$92,000.
$0.
$68,000.
$87,000.

PAGE 2

Page 2
1. (TCO F) Whether a company uses process costing or job-order costing depends on its industry. A number of companies in different industries are listed below:

i. Brick manufacturer
ii. Contract printer that produces posters, books, and pamphlets to order
iii. Natural gas production company
iv. Dairy farm
v. Coal mining company
vi. Specialty coffee roaster (roasts small batches of specialty coffee beans)

For each company, indicate whether the company is most likely to use job-order costing or process costing.
(Points : 15)

Direct materials $57,240
Direct labor hours 1,692 DLHs
Direct labor wage rate $12 per DLHS
Number of units completed 3,600 units

Units Materials Conversion
Units started into production 500,000
Costs added during the year:
Materials $650,000
Conversion $997,500
Units completed during the year 450,000

Required:

Inventories Beginning Ending
Raw materials $28,000 $29,000
Work In process $16,000 $14,000
Finished goods $42,000 $54,000

Additional Information
Raw material purchases $56,000
Direct labor costs $87,000
Manufacturing overhead cost incurred $51,000
Indirect materials included in manufacturing overhead costs incurred $3,000
Manufacturing overhead cost applied to work in process $55,000

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think that you will be finished within 20mins?
How much longer do we have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My time expires in 31mins.
Oh great :) I am on the last one :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes! Thank you
Here you go :)

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask; if all is clear, please rate the solution as experts do not get paid unless you rate the solution.

Please click on the following link to download the solutions:

https://www.box.com/s/5dg2ybbkhqau98a49pfr

P.S. If you like my services, please feel free to direct your future posts to me specifically by typing "For BusinessTutor" at the beginning of your post. Should you choose to do this, please try to allow me 48 hours before the deadline. If you need to meet me online for a timed assignment, please advise me of the date and time (EST) you want me to meet you here and I will. Please make sure you take the length (and number) of the questions into consideration when making your offer to avoid delays in providing solutions.

Thank you
Manal Elkhoshkhany, Bachelor's Degree
Experience: Completed by BA degree in 1988 and graduated with a GPA of 4.0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help :)
No problem at all :)

Please remember to rate the solution so that I get paid for my work.

Thank you
Hello Georgia

Is all clear? Did you need any further explanation? Please advise. If you have no further questions, please remember to rate the solution

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do have further questions. Are you able to assist?

Springfield Express is a luxury passenger carrier in Texas. All seats are first class, and the following data are available:

Number of seats per passenger train car 90

Average load factor (percentage of seats filled) 70%

Average full passenger fare $ 160

Average variable cost per passenger $ 70

Fixed operating cost per month $3,150,000

Formula :

Revenue = Units Sold * Unit price

Contribution Margin = Revenue – All Variable Cost

Contribution Margin Ratio = Contribution Margin/Selling Price

Break Even Points in Units = (Total Fixed Costs + Target Profit )/Contribution Margin

Break Even Points in Sales = (Total Fixed Costs + Target Profit )/Contribution Margin Ratio

Margin of Safety = Revenue - Break Even Points in Sales

Degree of Operating Leverage = Contribution Margin/Net Income

Net Income = Revenue – Total Variable Cost – Total Fixed Cost

Unit Product Cost using Absorption Cost = (Total Variable Cost + Total Fixed Cost)/# XXXXX units

1. Contribution margin per passenger =?

Contribution margin ratio =?

Break-even point in passengers = Fixed costs/Contribution Margin =

Passengers =?

Break-even point in dollars = Fixed Costs/Contribution Margin Ratio =

$ ?

1. Compute # XXXXX seats per train car (remember load factor?)

If you know # XXXXX BE passengers for one train car and the grand total of passengers, you can compute # XXXXX train cars (rounded) =?

1. Contribution margin =?

Break-even point in passengers = fixed costs/ contribution margin

Passengers =?

train cars (rounded) =?

1. Contribution margin =?

Break-even point in passengers = fixed costs/contribution margin

Passengers =?

train cars ( rounded) = ?

1. Before tax profit less the tax rate times the before tax profit = after-tax income = $ ?

Then, proceed to compute # XXXXX passengers -=?

1. # XXXXX discounted seats = ?

Contribution margin for discounted fares X # XXXXX seats = $ each train X$ ? train cars per day X ? days per month= $? minus $ additional fixed costs = $? pretax income.

1. 1.

Compute Contribution margin

Then,

# XXXXX X $ X # XXXXX cars = $ ?

Increased fixed cost ( ?)

Pretax gain (loss) on new route $

2 and 3. Compute # XXXXX passengers and train cars using computation approaches employed in some of the above problems.

4. Springfield should consider such things as (Think of qualitative factors that are important. In other words, not the numbers but other things that have to be considered, e.g., risks)

Hello Georgia, thank you for addressing the new questions to me, but please note that you need to rate the solutions I have posted above and then make a new post for the new questions; when you do, please advise your deadline

Thank you
Georgia, when you make a new post, please remember to type "For BusinessTutor" at the beginning of the post

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Business Tutor

I am not sure how to do the rating

Average full passenger fare $ 160

Formula :

Revenue = Units Sold * Unit price

1. Contribution margin per passenger =?

Contribution margin ratio =?

Passengers =?

$ ?

1. Contribution margin =?

Passengers =?

train cars (rounded) =?

1. Contribution margin =?

Passengers =?

train cars ( rounded) = ?

1. # XXXXX discounted seats = ?

1. 1.

Compute Contribution margin

Then,

# XXXXX X $ X # XXXXX cars = $ ?

Increased fixed cost ( ?)

Pretax gain (loss) on new route $

georgia,

you have said

"Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help :)"

Please advise why you have not rated the solution

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did last week

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will you be able to answer by midnight?

No georgia, you did not :)

You can check above and you will see the solution has not been rated

Also, next to your name, you will see that your rating score is zero which shows you the solution has not been rated

Midnight? No, I am not sure I can especially that we only have 1 hour & 20 minutes left until midnight

It seems you do not want to rate the solution and no longer need my help georgia, so I will opt out from both posts.

If you no longer need help, please advise if that is the case so that I can log out

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Business Tutor,

Are you able to assist me today. I need it within 3 hours?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. (TCO A) The variable portion of advertising costs is a (Points : 6)

Conversion YES... Period NO.
Conversion YES .... Period YES.
Conversion NO.... Period YES.
Conversion NO.... Period NO.

2. (TCO A) The costs of staffing and operating the accounting department at Central Hospital would be considered by the Department of Surgery to be (Points : 6)

direct costs.
sunk costs.
incremental costs.
None of the above

3. (TCO A) Property taxes on a company's factory building would be classified as a(n) (Points : 6)

sunk cost.
opportunity cost.
period cost.
variable cost.
manufacturing cost.

4. (TCO A) Within the relevant range, variable costs can be expected to (Points : 6)

vary in total in direct proportion to changes in the activity level.
remain constant in total as the activity level changes.
increase on a per-unit basis as the activity level increases.
increase on a per-unit basis as the activity level decreases.
None of the above

5. (TCO F) Emco Company uses direct labor cost as a basis for computing its predetermined overhead rate. In computing the predetermined overhead rate for last year, the company included in direct labor cost a portion of indirect labor. The effect of this misclassification will be to(Points : 6)

understate the predetermined overhead rate.
overstate the predetermined overhead rate.
have no effect on the predetermined overhead rate.
This cannot be determined from the information given.

6. (TCO F) Which of the following statements about the process-costing system is incorrect? (Points : 6)

In a process-costing system, each processing department has a work-in-process account.
In a process-costing system, equivalent units are separately computed for materials and for conversion costs.
In a process-costing system, overhead can be under- or overapplied just as in job-order costing.
In a process-costing system, materials costs are traced to units of products.

7. (TCO F) The FIFO method only provides a major advantage over the weighted-average method in that (Points : 6)

the calculation of equivalent units is less complex under the FIFO method.
the FIFO method treats units in the beginning inventory as if they were started and completed during the current period.
the FIFO method provides measurements of work done during the current period.
the weighted-average method ignores units in the beginning and ending work-in-process inventories.

8. (TCO B) The contribution margin ratio always decreases when the (Points : 6)

break-even point increases.
break-even point decreases.
variable expenses as a percentage of net sales increase.
variable expenses as a percentage of net sales decrease.

9. (TCO B) The unit sales needed to attain the target profit is found by (Points : 6)

dividing fixed costs by the contribution margin.
adding variable expenses to fixed expenses and dividing the total by the contribution margin.
adding target profit to the fixed expenses and then dividing the total by the unit contribution margin.
adding target profit to the fixed expenses and then dividing the total by the contribution margin.

10. (TCO E) In an income statement prepared using the variable costing method, variable selling and administrative expenses would (Points : 6)

be used in the computation of the contribution margin.
be used in the computation of net operating income but not in the computation of the contribution margin.
be treated differently from variable manufacturing expenses.
not be used.

Page 2

1. (TCO A) The following data (in thousands of dollars) have been taken from the accounting records of Larden Corporation for the just-completed year.

Sales

$950

Purchases of raw materials

$170

Direct labor

$210

Manufacturing overhead

$220

Administrative expenses

$180

Selling expenses

$140

Raw materials inventory, beginning

$70

Raw materials inventory, ending

$80

Work-in-process inventory, beginning

$30

Work-in-process inventory, ending

$20

Finished goods inventory, beginning

$100

Finished goods inventory, ending

$70

Required: Prepare a Schedule of Cost of Goods Manufactured statement in the text box below.

(Points : 15)

2. (TCO F) The Colorado Company manufactures a product that goes through three processing departments. Information relating to activity in the first department during June is given below.

Percentage Completed
Units Materials Conversion
Work in process, June 1 80,000 65% 45%
Work in process, Jun 30 65,000 75% 65%

The department started 325,000 units into production during the month and transferred 340,000 completed units to the next department.

Required: Compute the equivalent units of production for the first department for June, assuming that the company uses the weighted-average method of accounting for units and costs.

(Points : 20)

3. (TCO B) Drake Company's income statement for the most recent year appears below.

Sales (45,000 units) $1,350,000

Less: variable expenses 750,000

Contribution margin 600,000

Less: fixed expenses 375,000

Net operating income $225,000

Required:

a. Calculate the unit contribution margin.

b. Calculate the break-even point in dollars.

c. If the company desires a net operating income of $290,000, how many units must it sell?

(Points : 25)

4. (TCO E) Maffei Company, which has only one product, has provided the following data concerning its most recent month of operations:

Selling price $ 175
Units in beginning inventory 0
Units produced 9,500
Units sold 8,000
Units in ending Inventory 1,500
Variable costs per unit:
Direct materials $ 55
Direct labor $ 38
Variable manufacturing overhead $ 2
Variable selling and admin $ 10
Fixed costs:
Fixed manufacturing overhead $ 300,000
Fixed selling and admin $ 125,000

Required:

1. a. What is the unit product cost for the month under variable costing?
    b. What is the unit product cost for the month under absorption costing?
    c. Prepare an income statement for the month using the variable costing method.
    d. Prepare an income statement for the month using the absorption costing method.

(Points : 30)

I just got online now. How long do we still have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1 hour and 45mins. I've attache the doc below.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/d5jdftlcjchnv4t/Week4_May_2013.docx

Ok, but please do not respond here. Let us keep the conversation to the other post

Thank you