linda_us
linda_us, Master's Degree
Experience:  Business Analyst and Solution Consultant with over 9 years of experience.
19873544

2/25/2013For Neo.Hello Neo, Here is a new question

Customer Question

2/25/2013

For Neo.

Hello Neo, Here is a new question for you.

Chapter Eight Problems

Please complete the following 5 exercises below in either Excel or a word document (but must be single document). You must show your work where appropriate (leaving the calculations within Excel cells is acceptable). Save the document, and submit it in the appropriate week using the Assignment Submission button.

Chapter 8 Exercise 1:
1. Basic present value calculations
Calculate the present value of the following cash flows, rounding to the nearest dollar:
a. A single cash inflow of $12,000 in five years, discounted at a 12% rate of return.
b. An annual receipt of $16,000 over the next 12 years, discounted at a 14% rate of return.
c. A single receipt of $15,000 at the end of Year 1 followed by a single receipt of $10,000 at the end of Year 3. The company has a 10% rate of return.
d. An annual receipt of $8,000 for three years followed by a single receipt of $10,000 at the end of Year 4. The company has a 16% rate of return.

Chapter 8 Exercise 4:
4. Cash flow calculations and net present value
On January 2, 19X1, XXXXX XXXXXe invested $10,000 in the stock market and purchased 500 shares of Heartland Development, Inc. Heartland paid cash dividends of $2.60 per share in 19X1 and 19X2; the dividend was raised to $3.10 per share in 19X3. On December 31, 19X3, Greene sold his holdings and generated proceeds of $13,000. Greene uses the net-present- value method and desires a 16% return on investments.
a. Prepare a chronological list of the investment's cash flows. Note: Greene is entitled to the 19X3 dividend.
b. Compute the investment's net present value, rounding calculations to the nearest dollar.
c. Given the results of part (b), should Greene have acquired the Heartland stock? Briefly explain.

Chapter 8 exercise 5:
5. Straightforward net present value and internal rate of return
The City of Bedford is studying a 600-acre site on Route 356 for a new landfill. The startup cost has been calculated as follows:
Purchase cost: $450 per acre
Site preparation: $175,000

The site can be used for 20 years before it reaches capacity. Bedford, which shares a facility in Bath Township with other municipalities, estimates that the new location will save $40,000 in annual operating costs.
a. Should the landfill be acquired if Bedford desires an 8% return on its investment? Use the net-present-value method to determine your answer.
b. Compute the internal rate of return on this project.

Chapter 8 Problem 1:
1. Straightforward net-present-value and payback computations
STL Entertainment is considering the acquisition of a sight-seeing boat for summer tours along the Mississippi River. The following information is available:

Cost of boat $500,000
Service life 10 summer seasons
Disposal value at the end of 10 seasons $100,000
Capacity per trip 300 passengers
Fixed operating costs per season (including straight-line depreciation) $160,000
Variable operating costs per trip $1,000
Ticket price $5 per passenger

All operating costs, except depreciation, require cash outlays. On the basis of similar operations in other parts of the country, management anticipates that each trip will be sold out and that 120,000 passengers will be carried each season. Ignore income taxes.

Instructions:
By using the net-present-value method, determine whether STL Entertainment should acquire the boat. Assume a 14% desired return on all investments,- round calculations to the nearest dollar.

Chapter 8 Problem 4:
4. Equipment replacement decision
Columbia Enterprises is studying the replacement of some equipment that originally cost $74,000. The equipment is expected to provide six more years of service if $8,700 of major repairs are performed in two years. Annual cash operating costs total $27,200. Columbia can sell the equipment now for $36,000; the estimated residual value in six years is $5,000.
New equipment is available that will reduce annual cash operating costs to $21,000. The equipment costs $103,000, has a service life of six years, and has an estimated residual value of $13,000. Company sales will total $430,000 per year with either the existing or the new equipment. Columbia has a minimum desired return of 12% and depreciates all equipment by the straight-line method.

Instructions:
a. By using the net-present-value method, determine whether Columbia should keep its present equipment or acquire the new equipment. Round all calculations to the nearest dollar, and ignore income taxes.
Columbia's management feels that the time value of money should be considered in all long-term decisions. Briefly discuss the rationale that underlies management's belief.
Category: Multiple Problems
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a Moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know, otherwise, no need to reply. Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Neo replied 1 year ago.
Good day!

When is the deadline?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2/26/2013

Hello Neo.

The deadline is Friday, March 1, 2013. At 8:00 p.m. Central time. The name of the course is principles of Accounting ll, 206. (2012). San Diego, CA, Bridgepoint Education. The text is a conseteulation course digital material, BBD 1305A (CDM). Title copyright, publish by Bridgepoint Education, Inc. Editor-in Chief: Steve Wainwright. The ISBN# 978-1-62178-028-1, the second ISBN# XXXXXXXXXX

Thank you for your time.

Friend.

Expert:  Neo replied 1 year ago.
Good day!

I am not sure if I can make it till March 1 so I am opting out in case another expert may provide the answer more quickly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2/27/2013

For Neo. Do you think that you could have it done by Sunday, March 3, before midnight, Central time.

Please let me no.

Thank you,

Friend.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional is unable to continue to assist on this question. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes , i will continuing to wait for an expert .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.