1. Clara Wieck Schumann's "Forward!" was written for a/anA. full orchestra.B. brass band.C. madrigal choir.D. a capella chorus.
2. Prolonged exposure to volume greater than _______ decibels is considered dangerous.A. 40B. 70C. 80D. 50
3. The overture to A Midsummer Night's Dream is a one-movement workA. famous for the interplay of piano, violin, and cello.B. in sonata form.C. known for the massive sound of the orchestra.D. that presents the same basic musical idea in each strophe of the text.
4. Which composer called himself a tone poet—a poet who creates with music rather than words?A. ChopinB. SchubertC. BeethovenD. Schumann
5. _______ was called the "Valkyrie of the Piano."A. Clara Wieck SchumannB. Teresa CarrenoC. Fanny Mendelssohn HenselD. Robert Schumann
6. A Midsummer Night's Dream, William Shakespeare's play about the collision of reality and fantasy, wascaptured in a musical piece byA. Felix Mendelssohn.B. Ludwig van Beethoven.C. Franz Schubert.D. Hector Berlioz.
7. In his Fifth Symphony, BeethovenA. utilizes the percussion section in a whole new way.B. contrasts the wind instruments with the string instruments.C. introduces the short-LONG-short-LONG rhythm.D. limits the harmony of the string section.
8. A piano trio is made up ofA. a piano, violin, and viola.B. three pianos.C. a piano, organ, and pianoforte.D. a piano, violin, and cello.
9. In 2001, the President of Turkmenistan bannedA. rock music.B. ballet and opera.C. jazz.D. all music.
10. Franz Schubert was known for having writtenA. 11 symphonies.B. four operas.C. 100 violin concertos.D. 144 lieder.
11. In the overture to A Midsummer Night's Dream, the kingdom of the fairies, led by Oberon and Titania,is represented by theA. flute.B. piccolo.C. triangle.D. strings.
12. A poem that tells a story is called aA. chorale.B. limerick.C. ballad.D. stanza.
13. Symphonie fantastique, which depicts an artist's execution by guillotine, was written by the nineteenthcentury composerA. Berlioz.B. Erlkönig.C. Caspar David Friedrich.D. Giacchino Rossini.
14. Influenced by Dvořák, _______ is credited as the first American woman to have written a symphony.A. Clara Wieck SchumannB. Louise FarrencC. Fanny Mendelssohn HenselD. Amy Marcy Cheney Beach
15. The rhythm of the opening statement of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony isA. s-s-s-L.B. s-L-s-L.C. L-s-s-s.D. s-L-s-s.
16. Which of the following works helped to redefine the symphony as a genre?A. Beethoven's Ninth SymphonyB. Beethoven's Fifth SymphonyC. Beethoven's Sixth SymphonyD. Symphonie fantastique
17. The oratorio Elijah was written by the nineteenth century composerA. Felix Mendelssohn.B. Robert Schumann.C. Frédéric Chopin.D. Franz Schubert.
18. When the individual movements of a work are linked using a common musical idea, the work as awhole is commonly described asA. harmonic.B. polyphonic.C. cyclic.D. nationalistic.
19. The composer utilized the minor mode in Symphonie fantastique to representA. joy and love.B. gloom and ferocity.C. earthiness.D. solemnity and brilliance.
20. Berlioz insisted that a _______ be distributed to his audiences to provide an overview of the dramaticstructure of his work.A. librettoB. musical scoreC. transcriptD. program
Here is my answer for comparison with your own: 1 capella chorus 2 80 dB 3 in sonata form 4 Beethoven 5 Teresa Carreno 6 Felix Mendelssohn. 7 introduces the short-LONG-short-LONG rhythm. 8 a piano, violin, and cello 9 ballet and opera 10 11 symphonies. 11 piccolo 12 ballad 13 Berlioz 14 Amy Marcy Cheney Beach 15 s-s-s-L 16 Beethoven's Ninth Symphony 17 Felix Mendelssohn. 18 cyclic. 19 gloom and ferocity 20 program
If you have any further questions, I am happy to assist you.
Thank you very much!