Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550

For TeacherGreg 1. For a local hardware store, the total

Customer Question

For TeacherGreg

1. For a local hardware store, the total service cost is $10 per hour per employee and the waiting cost is $8 per hour per customer. Customers arrive at a rate of 20 per hour. On average, a customer waits a total of 6 minutes. How many clerks should the hardware store employ? (Points : 5)
1
2
3
4
5

2. The school of business has 3 fax machines. The toner in each machine needs to be changed after about 5 hours of use. There is one unit secretary who is responsible for the fax machine maintenance. It takes him 15 minutes to replace the toner cartridge. What is the probability that 2 fax machines need toner at the same time? (Points : 5)
0.8576
0.1286
0.0129
0.1415

3. Given the following information for a project, determine the critical path.

Activity

Immediate Predecessor

Activity Time (days)
A

-

6
B

-

8
C

A, B

5
D

B

4
E

C

7
F

C, D

3
G

D

6
H

E, F, G

5
(Points : 5)
A-C-E-H
B-C-E-H
B-D-F-H
B-D-G-H
B-C-F-H

4. When a constraint line bounding a feasible region has the same slope as an isoprofit line: (Points : 5)
there may be more than one optimum solution.
the problem involves redundancy.
an error has been made in the problem formulation.
a condition of infeasibility exists.
none of the above.

5. A post office has a single line for customers waiting for the next available postal clerk. There are two postal clerks who work at the same rate. The arrival rate of customers follows a Poisson distribution, while the service time follows an exponential distribution. The average arrival rate is three per minute and the average service rate is two per minute for each of the two clerks. What proportion of time are both clerks idle? (Points : 5)
0.643
0.250
0.750
0.143
Category: Multiple Problems
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

1. 1

2. 0.0129

3. B-C-E-H

4. a condition of infeasibility exists.

5. 0.250

Ready for next group.

Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree
Experience: M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
6. Which of the following does not represent a factor a manager might consider when employing linear programming for a production scheduling? (Points : 5)
Labor capacity
Employee skill levels
Warehouse limitations
Shipping limitations
None of the above

7. In a PERT network, the earliest (activity) start time is the: (Points : 5)
earliest time that an activity can be finished without delaying the entire project.
latest time that an activity can be started without delaying the entire project.
earliest time that an activity can start without violation of precedence requirements.
latest time that an activity can be finished without delaying the entire project.
none of the above.

8. At the start of football season, the ticket office gets very busy the day before the first game. Customers arrive at the rate of four every ten minutes. The customer would be better off if the stadium employed: (Points : 5)
a single ticket seller who could service a customer in two minutes.
two ticket sellers each of whom could service a customer in three minutes.
The two situations produce the same wait times.

9. In a maximization problem, when one or more of the solution variables and the profit can be made infinitely large without violating any constraints, then the linear program has: (Points : 5)
an infeasible solution.
an unbounded solution.
a redundant constraint.
alternate optimal solutions.
none of the above.

10. LP theory states that the optimal solution to any problem will lie at: (Points : 5)
the origin.
a corner point of the feasible region.
the highest point of the feasible region.
the lowest point in the feasible region.
none of the above.
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

6. None of the above

7. earliest time that an activity can start without violation of precedence requirements.

8. two ticket sellers each of whom could service a customer in three minutes.

9. an unbounded solution.

10. a corner point of the feasible region.

Please be sure to hit ACCEPT for each of these answer groups so I receive proper credit for my help today (I am only compensated for each set of answers if you hit ACCEPT for each set of answer).

:-)

Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
11. In queuing problems, the size of the calling population is important because: (Points : 5)
we have models only for problems with infinite calling populations.
we have models only for problems with finite calling populations.
the size of the calling population determines whether or not the arrival of one customer influences the probability of arrival of the next customer.
we will have to consider the amount of space available for the queue.
none of the above.

12. A work breakdown structure breaks down a project into: (Points : 5)
subcomponents and components.
activities.
tasks.
all of the above.

13. The customer who arrives at a bank, sees a long line, and leaves to return another time is: (Points : 5)
balking.
cropping.
reneging.
blithering.
none of the above.

14. Customers enter the waiting line at a cafeteria on a first-come, first-served basis. The arrival rate follows a Poisson distribution, while service times follow an exponential distribution. If the average number of arrivals is four per minute and the average service rate of a single server is seven per minute, what is the average number of customers in the system? (Points : 5)
0.43
1.67
0.57
1.33
none of the above

15. Jack Spratt is the production manager for a manufacturing firm that produces wizzy-gadgets and other items. The annual demand for a particular wizzy-gadget is 1,600 units. The holding cost is $2 per unit per year. The cost of setting up the production line is $25. There are 200 working days per year. The production rate for this product is 80 per day. If his maximum inventory level is 180 units, how many units did he produce each time he started production of the wizzy-gadgets? (Points : 5)
200
180
100
90
none of the above
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

11. the size of the calling population determines whether or not the arrival of one customer influences the probability of arrival of the next customer.

12. all of the above.

13. balking.

14. 1.33

15.none of the above

Thanks. Be sure to accept these answers. Ready for the next group.

Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
16. In a non instanteneous receipt model, daily demand is 55 units and daily production is 120 units, Co=$70 and Cc=$4 per unit per year. What is the maximum inventory level? (Assume that the facility is open 365 days per year.) (Points : 5)
616.9
618.4
620.3
622.9
625.5

17. PERT is the acronym for what? (Points : 5)
Plan Evaluation and Review Technique
Program Computation and Review Technique
Program Evaluation and Review Technique
Program Evaluation and View Technique

18. A suburban specialty restaurant has developed a single drive-thru window. Customers order, pay, and pick up their food at the same window. Arrivals follow a Poisson distribution while service times follow an exponential distribution. If the average number of arrivals is 6 per hour and the service rate is 2 every 15 minutes, how much time will elapse from the time a customer enters the line until he/she leaves the restaurant? (Points : 5)
0.25
0.50
0.75
2.25
3.00

19. For a maximization problem, assume that a constraint is binding. If the original amount of a resource is 4 lbs., and the range of feasibility (sensitivity range) for this constraint is from 3 lbs. to 6 lbs., increasing the amount of this resource by 1 lb. will result in the: (Points : 5)
same product mix, different total profit.
different product mix, same total profit as before.
same product mix, same total profit.
different product mix, different total profit.

20. The normal cost and crash cost for each activity is $12,000 and $7,000 respectively. The normal time to complete this activity is 8 days and crash time is 4 days. If this activity is crashed by 2 days and completed in 6 days, it will cost an additional _______________ . (Points : 5)
$1,000
$1,250
$2,000
$2,500
$5,000
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

16. 616.9

17. Program Evaluation and Review Technique

18. 0.50

19. different product mix, different total profit.

20. $1,250

Please be sure to hit ACCEPT. Ready for next group.

Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
21. Non-negativity constraints: (Points : 5)
restrict the decision variables to zero.
restrict the decision variables to positive values.
restrict the decision variables to negative values.
do not restrict the sign of the decision variable.
both a and b.

22. A person is using the normal distribution to determine the safety stock for a product. The "z" value of 1.28 would be associated with what service level? (Points : 5)
40 percent
95 percent
70 percent
90 percent
none of the above

23. Customers enter the waiting line to pay for food as they leave a cafeteria on a first-come, first-served basis. The arrival rate follows a Poisson distribution, while service times follow an exponential distribution. If the average number of arrivals is four per minute and the average service rate of a single server is seven per minute, what proportion of the time is the server busy? (Points : 5)
0.43
0.57
0.75
0.25
0.33

24. Consider the following linear programming problem:
Maximize 12X + 10Y
Subject to: 4X + 3Y <= 480
2X + 3Y <= 360
all variables >= 0
Which of the following points (X,Y) could be a feasible corner point? (Points : 5)
(40,48)
(120,0)
(180,120)
(30,36)
none of the above

25. Customers enter the waiting line to pay for food as they leave a cafeteria on a first-come, first-served basis. The arrival rate follows a Poisson distribution, while service times follow an exponential distribution. If the average number of arrivals is four per minute and the average service rate of a single server is seven per minute, on average, how much time will elapse from the time a customer enters the line until he/she leaves the cafeteria? (Points : 5)
0.67 minutes
0.50 minutes
0.75 minutes
0.33 minutes
1.33 minutes
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

21. restrict the decision variables to positive values.

22. 90 percent

23. 0.57

24. (120,0)

25.0.33 minutes

Be sure to hit accept and ready for the last group

:-)

Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last five coming up

26. Andre Candess manages an office supply store. One product in the store is computer paper. Andre knows that 10,000 boxes will be sold this year at a constant rate throughout the year. There are 250 working days per year and the lead-time is 3 days. The cost of placing an order is $30, while the holding cost is $15 per box per year. How many units should Andre order each time to minimize his annual inventory cost? (Points : 5)
200
400
500
100
none of the above

27. A vendor selling newspapers on a street corner is an example of a: (Points : 5)
single-channel, multiphase system.
single-channel, single-phase system.
multichannel, multiphase system.
multichannel, single-phase system.
none of the above.

28. Rose Arena is the production manager for a manufacturing firm that produces buggy whips and other items. The annual demand for a particular buggy whip is 1,600 units. The holding cost is $2 per unit per year. The cost of setting up the production line is $25. There are 200 working days per year. Rose decided to produce 200 units each time she started production of the buggy whips. If it took her 4 days to produce the 200 units, what was her production rate? (Points : 5)
80 units/day
60 units/day
40 units/day
100 units/day
none of the above

29. Customers enter the waiting line at a cafeteria on a first-come, first-served basis. The arrival rate follows a Poisson distribution, while service times follow an exponential distribution. If the average number of arrivals is four per minute and the average service rate of a single server is seven per minute, what is the average number of customers in the system? (Points : 5)
0.43
1.67
0.57
1.33
none of the above

30. A person is using the normal distribution to determine the safety stock for a product. The "z" value of 2.32 would be associated with what service level? (Points : 5)
95 percent
97.5 percent
98 percent
99 percent
none of the above
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

26. none of the above

27. single-channel, single-phase system.

28. none of the above

29. 1.33

30. 99 percent

All the best. Please be sure to hit ACCEPT.

Feel free to request me anytime for your homework needs.

Have a wonderful rest of the weekend!

Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You have a great weekend also

Thanks again
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 2 years ago.
:-)