linda_us
linda_us, Master's Degree
Experience:  Business Analyst and Solution Consultant with over 9 years of experience.

9. The value of doing a weighted competitive strength assessment

Customer Question

9. The value of doing a weighted competitive strength assessment is to:
a. determine how competitively powerful the company's core competencies are.
b. learn if the company has a more cost-efficient value chain than rivals.
c. learn whether a company has enough resource strengths and competitive capabilities to be profitable.
d. learn how the company ranks relative to rivals on each of the important factors that determine market success and ascertain whether the company has a net competitive advantage or disadvantage vis-à-vis key rivals.
e. determine whether a company's resource strengths and competitive capabilities are sufficient to allow it to capture a bigger market share than its closest rivals

10. The competitive power of a company resource strength or competitive capability is, in part, determined by whether it:
a. acts to lower the cost of performing value chain activities.
b. acts to eliminate a company's resource weaknesses and competitive deficiencies.
c. involves mastery of a competitively important technology.
d. involves primary rather than secondary value chain activities.
e. has competitive value and is hard for rivals to copy or match.

11. The market opportunities most relevant to a company are those that:
a. hold the most potential for improving value chain efficiency.
b. help it expand into new geographic market
c. hold the most potential for product innovation.
d. provide a strong defense against any strategic offensives launched by rivals.
e. offer the best growth and profitability, match up well with the firm's financial resources and competitive capabilities, and present the most potential for competitive advantage.

13. Which of the following is central to the task of identifying the strategy-related issues and problems that merit the front-burner attention of company managers?
a. Drawing conclusions about how hard it will be for the company to achieve a sustainable competitive advantage and deciding what actions to take to overcome these obstacles and challenges
b. Compiling a "worry list" of "how to...," "whether to....," and "what to do about....."--this worry list should be based, in part, on an assessment of the company's external environment (the answers to the six questions posed in Chapter 3) and an evaluation of the company's own resources and ability to compete successfully (the answers to the first four questions in this chapter)
c. Deciding what strategic path to follow, setting stretch objectives, picking an appropriate strategic intent, and crafting a competitively powerful strategy
d. Doing a SWOT analysis and a competitive strength assessment
e. Deciding what to do---which strategic actions to take and which strategic moves to make

14. SWOT analysis is a powerful tool for:
a. identifying precisely what factors are causing the company to either make money or lose money.
b. gauging whether a company has an adequate number of resource strengths, up-to-date competitive capabilities, and a cost-efficient value chain.
c. evaluating whether a company's strategy is working well, how profitable it is, and whether it is operating with a competitive advantage or a disadvantage.
d. sizing up a company's resource capabilities and deficiencies, its market opportunities, and the external threats to its future well-being.
e. determining whether a company's strategy is powerful enough to capture the available market opportunities and whether it has dynamic and competitively valuable capabilities.

15. For a company to translate its performance of value chain activities into competitive advantage, it must:
a. beat rivals in performing value chain activities more proficiently (thus creating a differentiation-based competitive advantage) or beat rivals in performing value chain activities more cheaply (thus achieving a cost-based competitive advantage).
b. have more competitive assets than competitive liabilities and deploy its competitive assets in ways to become increasingly proficient in performing value chain activities more cost-efficiently than rivals.
c. build an innovative value chain that allows it to produce the highest quality product in the industry, thereby securing a differentiation-based competitive advantage.
d. develop a value chain with few support activities (so as to keep costs low) and focus only on performing only those primary activities that deliver the most value to customers.
e. have more core competencies and distinctive competencies than rivals and thereby gain a competitive advantage based on superior differentiation-enhancing competencies and capabilities
Category: Multiple Problems
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!