Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a triumph speed triple. I want to add a secondary

Customer Question

I have a triumph speed triple. I want to add a secondary throttle. How could I do that? I want the existing throttle to continue to operate as it does. And I want to add another one that can cause acceleration that's in a different place.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 9 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially and unfortunately, not doable IF "...want the existing throttle to continue to operate as it does...". These models uses a push-pul/dual accelerator cable similar to the part shown HERE which would prevent effective use of a "secondary throttle"

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What this tells me is that it makes it easier. If we move what the throttle is connected to the throttle moves as well in both directions. why whouldn't a secondary throttle with push/pull work? or only pull since the springs bring it to close?
Expert:  Louie replied 8 days ago.

Yes, throttle action is easier/smoother or technically, a more positive reaction either way.

Still, please click HERE. This is how the dual cables are positioned to the throttle grip. On accelerating, the pull cable is pulled at the same time, the push cable is pushed back. There would be a reaction on the other cable even if only 1 cable is pulled or pushed.

A secondary throttle not only must work similarly; i.e. pull and push, it also must be able to turn the original throttle grip since there is nowhere the cables can go.

A potential workaround that can be explored would be to remove the push/return cable and operate the system with only a pull cable.

It may be necessary to stiffen the return spring.

And to replace the pull cable with a split accelerator cable intended for 2-stroke engines. Click HERE.

Originally, this split cable allows the throttle grip to pull at the same time the carb slide and an oil valve.

A potential reversal of application maybe tried; i.e. two (2) accelerator mechanism to a single pull cable:

• the original throttle grip; and
  • an add-on accelerator lever similar to those used by ATVs. Click HERE.