Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Trouble shooting says something about a circuit breaker.

Customer Question

trouble shooting says something about a circuit breaker. where is it. my 700 just died and all electrical is gone. no display or nothing
JA: What's the make/model/year of your bike?
Customer: polaris 700 twin sportsman 4 wheeler. 2003
JA: What is the model of your '03 motorcycle?
Customer: 2003 model .
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried nothing yet. have had to replace the battery a couple of times. if i don't start it for a month or 2 the battery is dead and won't take a charge. my brother cranked it at hnting camp sunday . said it started right up ran a few minutes and died . no power now
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: no clue . has neveer done it. before like that. usually just won't crank and a new battery does the trick . aint had any problem at all in probly 2 yrs. or so
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that about all i no for now. i haven't been down there to hunt so i can check it
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 9 days ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially and in most versions, there are two (2) 20A circuit breakers taped along the harness. These are inside a sealed plastic envelope and would look like the part shown HERE. The actual circuit breaker inside would look like the part HERE.

Still, let's try and review the basics. Proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done):

• • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring ;
  • • more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  • • then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • of particular interest likewise would be the fusible links and their teminals/connectors.

Perhaps the video HERE may shed insight/reference.