kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experience in Harley Davidson and Triumph
68360881

Pearl, I ant to read the response to the 2008 Ruckus

Customer Question

Pearl, I ant to read the response to the 2008 Ruckus starting problem. Can I reduce your window and com back?
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes, new battery and left it on a trickle over night. I haven't gone out yet to give it a try. I have been keeping a can of starting fluid handy, but I should not need to use that. I bought the thing in Oct and an begining to think that a carb inspection might be in order.
JA: What is the model of your '08 motorcycle?
Customer: 2007 NPS50
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I'm 69 and have been riding for 60+ years. As well as road racing and a bunch of 1000 in 24 runs on my 850 Norton Commando. I'm not afraid of dirty fingernails. I drained the tank and did as much as I could of a clean up without removing the tank as I could with out removing the tank. The air filter was dirty so I found an exact replacement Home depot using a Briggs & Straton filter. I changed the oil with the correct grade.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The scooter only had 1750 miles on it since new (2007) I tracked down the original dealer in Georgia (I'm in Alabama) and I am now the third owner.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 4 months ago.

Hello, are you just having a cold start issue with your Ruckus?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It gets a bit sluggish , then again it is 9 years old and only 1750 miles from new. I am the third owner. I'm leaning towards a full flushing of the fuel delivery system.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll pass on the $26 option. I've been on the waiting list it seems like two hours now
If you have a recommendation for a fuel tank liner I'll consider it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am accustomed to my full road race prepared Norton, so power comparisons have no value. That said, the NPS50 should rank on the first or second spin of the electric leg or kick.

Thanks for the additional information. Changing the fuel filter (found here) along with cleaning the carb (diagram and parts HERE)

The fuel tank liner I sugest is here, I've used it hundreds of times with great results.

I also suggest valve adjustemnt checks every 6,000 miles

Valve adjustment plays a big part in these motors starting quickly.

Let me know if I can help further

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks "K" will those links stay live? If not I will need to open and save them. I am running late on some critical errands. I can put the computer in the 'sleep' mode so I can go back and review.

Those links will stay good.