P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

I replaced the handlebar, now the start button is dead. I

Customer Question

Hi, I replaced the handlebar, now the start button is dead. I also don't hear fuel pump when I switch the ignition on.
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: Original.
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: Street glide FLHX 2012.
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I am fixing it myself. I didn't unplug the battery before I cutted the wires of the handlebar. I checked the fuses, they are ok, I also hear a click in relay when I turn the ignition on. I am not sure for one conestor with white and black wire that comes out of the handlebar, where it should be pluged in.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it, I suppose...
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be working with you today.

Expert:  P.J. replied 2 months ago.

Does the bike have security? Is the red key symbol illuminated on the speedometer face? This is the first check as it may be a coincidence and the security is disabling the start button.

If it isn't security, you should verify the "ignition" fuse is good as it supplies the start circuit.

To do some further troubleshooting you'll need a volt/ohm test meter. If you have one available the first check is to remove the green wire from the starter solenoid and, with the ignition switch on and the run/stop switch in the run position you should see battery voltage on the green wire. If you have power on the green you have a bad starter solenoid or low battery voltage.

If not then you'll need to work back to the starter relay and check for power on the red/gray wire first. This is the power from the ignition switch when turned on.

Next, check for power at that relay on the black/red with the bike on and while pressing the start button. If there is no power on the black/red you'll need to verify power on the gray wire feeding the start/run switch. If it has power then you may have a bad switch or a bad connection between the switch and the "ignition" fuse.

Thanks, ***** ***** a positive rating for my service. Thanks, P.J.