Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

My polaris sportsman ATV won't turn over. I verified the

Customer Question

my polaris sportsman ATV won't turn over. I verified the battery is charged and cleaned terminals
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: I have not used a voltage meter. it is not leaking
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: 2005 polaris sportsman 4-wheel ATv
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes....I've charged the batter and cleaned the battery terminals
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• re-inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring particularly the fusible link(s);
  • • more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  • • then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • locate the starter solenoid, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay/solenoid;
  • • jump the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Expect a big spark. Starter motor should turn;
  • • if yes, but the starter relay still only clicks when attemtping to start, then the starter relay is likely faulty;
  • • if not, then the starter motor and/or battery-cables would be the suspect.