Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 2006 Yamaha Bruin. When I go to start it, I get a

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Yamaha Bruin. When I go to start it, I get a buzzing or clicking noise. The battery is good, so what's next?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It's coming from the electronics next to the battery.
JA: What is the model of your '06 motorcycle?
Customer: It's a 2006 Bruin 350 ATV.
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I've made sure that it is not the battery. That's it so far.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) :

• • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring ;
  • • more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  • • then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay/solenoid;
  • • jump the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Expect a big spark. Starter motor should turn;
  • • if yes, but the starter relay still only clicks when attemtping to start, then the starter relay is likely faulty;
  • • if not, then the starter motor and/or battery-cables would be the suspect.