Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Mr. Louie, I very very sorry, not be able to keep in contact

Customer Question

hello Mr. Louie, I very very sorry, not be able to keep in contact whit you, related whit my 1974 Honda XL250.
converter from 6to 12 volts, I hope you remember the help you give me, I have a serious family issues, sorry replay to late, I just let you now, all the information is very accurate and I really appreciate, help a lot, but I have 2 or 3 more question related whit, can you please still help me to finish this project??
please,, thank you.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi again and welcome back to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, yes please; post back additional concerns with the XL250.

Additionally click HERE. If you haven’t done so, please provide a positive rating at the top of your page for the original XL250 6-to-12 conversion.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you, ***** *****
when you say ( rewind the charging coil and headlight coil for 12V operation ) is something I can due. or I need to send the stator to a special shop?
and to replace the rectifier and voltage regulator how is gone a by the connections?
in the original wiring diagram if you see, we have a 6 different cable connections,, 3 for rectifier and 3 for voltage regulator,,,
and the rectifier and voltage regulator combo, is just 4 pins connectors.
which wires I need to eliminate??
thank you.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Let' start with rewinding the coil. Please click HERE. And the video HERE may provide insight not only on rewinding the coil but converting a 6V motorcycle to 12V operations.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry Mr. Louie, I confuse,, I understand the first video show how rewind the coil,, which is very much increase the turns of the cable in the coil,, Is that right?? and in the second video they show only 2 coils in the stator, and my has 3 , I dont get the point, can you tries to explain me a little, what is the lesson in this videos??
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Yes, basically increase the number of turns to increase the voltage.

The second video is more of a confirmation that indeed, a 6V system can be converted to 12V and the changes /addition of parts not only rewinding the coil. This would serve as a reference hence "...provide insight..."; i.e. give you an idea and not necessarily the same procedure as that for the XL250.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK. in this case which is the procedure in my XL250??
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Use the rewinding technique as shown in the first video.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK. I understand, 1 last cuestion I clear how the ignition system work whit A/C voltage create spark on and off, what is exactly doing the white cable ( W ) from the A.C generator then the color change to white yellow ( W/Y ) connected to the headlight bean control switch in the port ( DY )
my question is: this cable has A.C voltage??
and what mind ( DY , TL , HO ) abbreviation in the head light switch?
thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

On:

1. how the ignition system work whit A/C voltage create spark on and off - the ignition coil acts as a step-up transformer;
  2. what is exactly doing the white cable ( W ) from the A.C generator then the color change to white yellow ( W/Y ) connected to the headlight bean control switch in the port ( DY ) - AC voltage supply to the headlight switch that select LO or HI;
  3. my question is: this cable has A.C voltage?? - yes;
  4. and what mind ( DY , TL , HO ) abbreviation in the head light switch?
  • DY - headlight supply;
  • TL - tail light;
  • HO - switch +6V.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Mr. Louie, I tries to find someone to rewind my generator as you recommended unfortunately not body wan to due in my area.
please understand me, I feel so bad, I really wan finish this project.
I give a review in a previous conversations we have and I find this, you writer to me:" The electrical system based on this diagram is composed of the three (3) sub-systems:ignition;
headlight;
running.While the latter 2; headlight and running can be lumped together and can be converted to 12V, the ignition would be relatively difficult thus challenging."maybe I wrong, but I understand we can created a 12 volts ( when you say lumped ) whit out rewind any coil, if this is the case please tell me how.
which cable has to be disconnected and which has connected.
I tries to figure out but I can't, please help me out. Thank you again
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Please click HERE. The video may be of interest.

The procedures were outlined with illustrations and pictures HERE.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Mr.Louie, thank you for all your help, the images and videos help me a lot but not to finish my project, I understand the concept of the conversion but I can't figure out apply to my specific model,the reason is because all images and videos are different to my model, please if you can be more specific I going a appreciate.
if you see em in the original wiring diagram the regulator and rectifier separate.
from the generator to rectifier running 2 cables yellow and pink and boot are from the same coil, I think you called running
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

The basic idea is to increase the output voltage of the charging coils.

Consider that your XL250 has two (2) 6V coils; 1 for headlight and another for the running/charging.

The simplest approach is to run the 2 6V coils in series hence 6V + 6V = 12V (an overly simplified explanation). There is no rewinding of the coils necessary. Please keep in mind that this is an attempt as the specific characteristics of the coil are unknown (to me). Further, this is a hopeful workaround to address the "... find someone to rewind my generator...not body wan to due..."

BUT also, the output current would be low HENCE the previous suggestion of using LED lights for lower current consumption.

If you want more specific procedures, you would have to determine the beginning and ending coil end (wires) of these 2 coils. Unfortunately, I can not from the pictures and must be done hands on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if I not going a use a separate silicon rectifier I think this to wires are going a by connected in the new regulator/rectifier in in the pink and yellow wires, is that correct??
from here: how is going a by connected the headlight coil to have the 12 volts
you just need to tell me where is connected the white/yellow tube wire??
and if I need to UN-grounded this coil and running a new wire from the end,, where is going a be connected,
in conclusion I just need to now exactly how is connected the headlight coil
I think according whit your experience and if you see the original diagram is not to complicate for you.
please make easy possible, thank you.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Proposed re-wiring (attempt 1):

• yellow from alternator / AC Generator to input of new regulator;
  • pink wire to white wire both of the alternator / AC Generator;
  • white/yellow to ignition switch terminal that would have +12V when switched on.

Since the system would now be 12V, ensure that all parts are intended for 12V operations.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK. the new regulator has 4 wires
Red to the battery,,,,,,,green to frame and battery is correct? please confirm me please
Now from here the regulator still have 2 wires,,, pink and yellow,,,, which of this 2 is the input and what's going happen whit the other.?
you say::white/yellow to ignition switch terminal that would have +12V when switched on.
which white/yellow?,,, the one originality is white from the generator?
another think is I spectated a ignition switch was feed by the battery according to the original diagram.
can you make a little diagram just whit the main parts.
generator, regulator ignition switch, and battery.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

I am currently mobile and away from my regular work computer hence no access to my files/diagrams.

Send me a copy of your wiring diagram and a picture of the new regulator.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
here is Mr. louie, thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sorry is: Mr. Louie
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this is my own diagram according your instructions can you please check and complete, thank you.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Appreciate the pictures.

Please consider:

• IF the coils were re-winded, THEN there would be two (2) 12V charging coils 1 each for the pink and yellow wires of the new regulator.
  • but SINCE they were not and we are attempting a WORKAROUND of connecting the 2 coils in SERIES to create a SINGLE 12V charging coil, then EITHER the pink or the yellow input wire of the regulator can be connected to the yellow wire from the A.C. Generator.
  • Yes, green wire of regulator to engine/frame ground and the battery's - terminal.
  • Yes, red wire of regulator to 12V battery's + terminal;
  • "...you say::white/yellow to ignition switch terminal that would have +12V when switched on. which white/yellow?,,, the one originality is white from the generator?..." based on the DIAGRAM, yes. The white/yellow wire was originally connected to the white wire of the A.C. Generator BUT the white/yellow wire must now be connected to the ignition switch terminal that would have a 12V when switched on, the black wire;
  • Yes, pink and white wires of the A.C. Generator are joined together (this is to create the 6V + 6V = 12V);
  • "...spectated a ignition switch was feed by the battery according to the original diagram...", yes, the red wire from the battery's + terminal.
  • For the diagram, please click HERE.