Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Mr. Louie, I very very sorry, not be able to keep in contact

Customer Question

hello Mr. Louie, I very very sorry, not be able to keep in contact whit you, related whit my 1974 Honda XL250.
converter from 6to 12 volts, I hope you remember the help you give me, I have a serious family issues, sorry replay to late, I just let you now, all the information is very accurate and I really appreciate, help a lot, but I have 2 or 3 more question related whit, can you please still help me to finish this project??
please,, thank you.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 5 days ago.

Hi again and welcome back to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, yes please; post back additional concerns with the XL250.

Additionally click HERE. If you haven’t done so, please provide a positive rating at the top of your page for the original XL250 6-to-12 conversion.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
thank you, ***** *****
when you say ( rewind the charging coil and headlight coil for 12V operation ) is something I can due. or I need to send the stator to a special shop?
and to replace the rectifier and voltage regulator how is gone a by the connections?
in the original wiring diagram if you see, we have a 6 different cable connections,, 3 for rectifier and 3 for voltage regulator,,,
and the rectifier and voltage regulator combo, is just 4 pins connectors.
which wires I need to eliminate??
thank you.
Expert:  Louie replied 5 days ago.

Let' start with rewinding the coil. Please click HERE. And the video HERE may provide insight not only on rewinding the coil but converting a 6V motorcycle to 12V operations.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
sorry Mr. Louie, I confuse,, I understand the first video show how rewind the coil,, which is very much increase the turns of the cable in the coil,, Is that right?? and in the second video they show only 2 coils in the stator, and my has 3 , I dont get the point, can you tries to explain me a little, what is the lesson in this videos??
Expert:  Louie replied 5 days ago.

Yes, basically increase the number of turns to increase the voltage.

The second video is more of a confirmation that indeed, a 6V system can be converted to 12V and the changes /addition of parts not only rewinding the coil. This would serve as a reference hence "...provide insight..."; i.e. give you an idea and not necessarily the same procedure as that for the XL250.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
OK. in this case which is the procedure in my XL250??
Expert:  Louie replied 5 days ago.

Use the rewinding technique as shown in the first video.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
OK. I understand, 1 last cuestion I clear how the ignition system work whit A/C voltage create spark on and off, what is exactly doing the white cable ( W ) from the A.C generator then the color change to white yellow ( W/Y ) connected to the headlight bean control switch in the port ( DY )
my question is: this cable has A.C voltage??
and what mind ( DY , TL , HO ) abbreviation in the head light switch?
thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Louie replied 5 days ago.

Hi again,

On:

1. how the ignition system work whit A/C voltage create spark on and off - the ignition coil acts as a step-up transformer;
  2. what is exactly doing the white cable ( W ) from the A.C generator then the color change to white yellow ( W/Y ) connected to the headlight bean control switch in the port ( DY ) - AC voltage supply to the headlight switch that select LO or HI;
  3. my question is: this cable has A.C voltage?? - yes;
  4. and what mind ( DY , TL , HO ) abbreviation in the head light switch?
  • DY - headlight supply;
  • TL - tail light;
  • HO - switch +6V.