Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I have a 93 hd ulta classic electra glide. When im riding

Customer Question

I have a 93 hd ulta classic electra glide. When im riding down the road it or having it parked the runing lights will cut off for about 5 second to 30 second and then cut back on.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 13 days ago.

- the running lamps on your bike are the front turn signals. they have a dual element bulb.

the front turn signals illuminate (but do not blink) when the lights are turned on.

they also blink when the turn signal for that side is activated.

- your bike also has a head lamp and tail lamp which could also be considered running lamps.

- exported European models also have a day light running lamp bulb built into the head lamp, which is separate from h head lamp bulb.

please clarify which running lamps you are having trouble with.

we can continue then.

Steve

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
When the lights cut off the blinkers and brake lights still work when i hit the brake or flip on the blinker. The rest of the lights stay off
Expert:  Steve replied 13 days ago.

so, the head light and tail light go off.

is that correct?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
sir
Expert:  Steve replied 13 days ago.

those lights are powered from the "lights" breaker, inside your fairing.

you can access the breakers by removing the head lamp assembly.

if the lights go out while riding and then just come back on, it means you have a ground or short in the "lights" wiring (blue wire) which is causing the lights breaker to open.

the breakers on your bike are thermal breakers. if there is a ground on the circuit it will cause too much current to pass through the breaker. that "overload" will cause the breaker to over heat and pop open. after it cools off, the breaker automatically closes. if the over load is no longer present, the breaker stays closed, if it is still present, the breaker will trip open, etc, etc.

- you have a ground somewhere on a blue wire.

- this will continue until you find it and correct the problem.

the most common cause of the ground on this wire is a pinched wire in the hand controls if you have performed ANY maintenance on the left hand controls which required disassembly and reassembly of the switch housings and/or clutch bracket. the next ost common is a pinched wire during re-assembly after taking parts of the bike off and then putting them back on.

if any of that sounds familiar, start there.

if not........good luck. your bike is almost as old as my 1992 FLHTC and I have had to replace a significant portion of my wiring harness already, due to issues such as yours.

Steve

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
sir, i will check it tomorrow and let you know how it goes
Expert:  Steve replied 13 days ago.

let me now if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok so i just rode her home tonight. And i noticed that when i turned the handlebars slightly to the left the lights cut off and the blue high beam light on the dash comes on. And its only in one spot that it does it. if i leave the handlebars in that one spot the lights will stay off and the high beam light stays on.
Expert:  Steve replied 13 days ago.

the problem is somewhere in the harness between the frame the fairing.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 day ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

THANK YOU,

Steve