Christopher
Christopher, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  20 yrs. experience as motorcycle, dirt bike, ATV, UTV and watercraft technician.
5111025

My 1999 Kawasaki mule gets an intermittent snap or clank

Customer Question

my 1999 Kawasaki mule gets an intermittent snap or clank sound in 2wd or 4wd, hi range or low range and with the differential locked or unlocked. The sound will be continuous but at different intervals, on rough terrain or up hill. It will make no sound going downhill or on paved surfaces except it will do it once if I have changed high or low or from 4wd to 2wd. At first there was just the noise but now I am noticing loss of drive when the noise occurs. My manual suggests a worn or dirt drive belt. Any suggestion's?. Thanks
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Christopher replied 11 days ago.

The noise you are describing is likely due to a worn or damaged belt, or worn rollers in the primary clutch. If the belt has never been replaced I would you suggest you go ahead and replace it. After removing the old belt, compare the width to the new replacement, my bet is you will find the older belt much thinner in comparison. While you have the belt off, start the engine and rev it a couple times, observe the clutch, it should move smoothly in and out with no noise. If you do hear noises such as a clunking or the clutch does not move smoothly, I would suggest you repair or replace it as well.

If you have any further questions feel free to post them here and I will continue to assist you. Thanks and have a great holiday.

Expert:  Christopher replied 7 days ago.

If you any further questions or problems, post them here and we can continue to work on a solution. Please remember to rate my assistance, it is the only way I am compensated for my time...Thanks

Expert:  Christopher replied 4 days ago.

Any progress?