Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

My 2000 Honda 300 ATV will start, but boggs down under a

Customer Question

My 2000 Honda 300 ATV will start, but boggs down under a load.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you fixing your S2000 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am repairing myself. I have disassembled the carbuerator, but did not find anything that may be causing the problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I recently replaced the computer.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I recently replaced the Ignition Control Module.
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's check / review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • drain-clean tank and replace with fresh fuel (even if just to eliminate as a suspect);
  • • check/clean fuel path;
  • • remove the spark plug and determine burn color of tip;
  • • collect/drain fuel at carb bowl to check for quantity/quality;
  • • ensure original air box + filter correctly installed with no chance of an air leak.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have checked the spark plug and it is ok, but plan to replace anyway. I also checked the air intake and it is ok.I will check the fuel supply quantity.What do you think about a leak/hole in the main needle valve diaphragm?
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Yes. "...leak/hole in the main needle valve diaphragm..." would be a cause of the bogging down but I was under the impressions that "...disassembled the carbuerator, but did not find anything that may be causing the problem..."

...and what is the burn color of the spark plug?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I performed a visual check of the carbuerator bowl and blew ports out with compressed air. I did not perform any type of performance check on the diagphram - I assume there is no performance check and only a visual check. Any other check to determine diagphram function?Spark plug burn color was blue.
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

None that I know of; only visual check.

Sorry but need info on the burn color of the ceramic tip where the electrode fires.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Tan
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Bear with me and re-check the air box /filter. Is it the original?

"...replaced the Ignition Control Module....", why please? ...same reason?

Is this bogging down a sudden / recent issue? ...slowly developing over time? ...ever since had it/used it?

Would you consider an experiment? ...the spark plug color is good but can you make the mix a little richer?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Bear with me and re-check the air box /filter. Is it the original? The air filter was removed and no change in performance."...replaced the Ignition Control Module....", why please? ...same reason? Ignition Control Module was replaced when entire electrical system shutdown and would not allow starter to operate. After replacement, the engine started immediately. However, it has never operated properly when loaded since replacement.Is this bogging down a sudden / recent issue? Sudden and recent...slowly developing over time? ...ever since had it/used it? It had run well for years until the electrical system shutdown.
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Appreciate the additional information and very significant:

• Ignition Control Module...ever operated properly when loaded since replacement;
  • run well for years until the electrical system shutdown.

With the battery fully charged and each & every part in their places including the air box & filter, temporarily disconnect the voltage regulator for test purposes and run the Honda under load.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will do. If it runs properly, does this mean the voltage regulator is the problem?
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

IF, then yes.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Based upon the repair manual, there is no voltage regulator.Will apply the information we have discussed and check back in.The 4 wheeler is located two hours from my residence. Therefore, it will take some time for me to implement.
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

Interesting; "...no voltage regulator..."

Please upload and post back with a link to your copy / version of the service manual.

And yes please, an update when conveniently able.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My error. I had an incorrect manual. The ATV does have a voltage regulator.
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

I understand.

"...With the battery fully charged and each & every part in their places including the air box & filter, temporarily disconnect the voltage regulator for test purposes and run the Honda under load...."