michael silva
michael silva, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Owner at Mikes Moto Repair
96918254

I have a 2006 yfz 450 yamaha that i have replaced

Customer Question

i have a 2006 yfz 450 yamaha that i have replaced stator,replaced voltage regulator and the resistor and still wont charge
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  michael silva replied 3 months ago.
I know you have replaced all your components. Let's test them individual.Wires coming out from the stator, how many wires and what color are they?I need to know that way we can check AC voltage.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
White and yellow and red and white
Can you send me a picture, if not that's ok. White and yellow are bullet connection and red and white are in its own plastic connection, correct?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
White and yellow are alternator and red and white pick up coil wires
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
White to ground I get 00.2
00.2 tells me OHMS are in good range.With all wiring connected, prob the white and yellow wire for alternator with multimeter in Ac volt setting, start the machine, what is your average Ac volt normal idle 1200-1500rpm and peak Ac volt around 4000 rpm aka high idle. Numbers we are looking for fall between 13-85 Ac volts.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I will check that when I get home this evening
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok yellow and white connected with engine running 13-85 actually volts
Side note-Be sure to make sure all battery cables are bare metal, to the lead terminals on the batter. Make sure you have a good battery to frame connections and remove any paint, etc thAt will effect contact.Make sure mounting tabs on frame for voltage regulator have no paint.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Mr silva i am just getting back to working on my charge issue i checked white and yellow ac volts with engine running and it is 3.45
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Does that mean the new stator is bad
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you still talking to me or i need to repost i have been out of pocket since we last talked with a family emergency just getting back to it.
Expert:  michael silva replied 2 months ago.
Sorry about late reply. According to your results, yes faulty stator. Every time stator is replaced is good idea to replace regulator as well.over at https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com sell combo kits, stators and regulators to get you going again for around $160.Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i checked ac volts with regulator unhooked and resistor unhooked engine running and i am only getting 6 volts
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
checked white and yellow wires engine running half throttle 30 volts but when i connect voltage regulator and resistor wires only showing 12.5 dc volts at battery
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have replaced stator,flywheel,voltage regulatorand resistor still not charging
Stator is good producing 30acv.Sounds like a bad voltage regulator. I know you replaced the voltage regulator, I've seen them bad from factory.Before we replace parts let's do more testing.A.c and D.C. voltage tester make sure wires going to the regulator are not broken in the harness.Stock regulator colors are red, black, yellow, and white. With regulator disconnected, checking at the pigtail, red is battery DC voltage, black is ground-what is the ohm value, yellow and white are Ac voltage, similar to test you did early. What are your values for wires?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
check between yellow and white wires for ohm values on pigtail at regulator or you talking about red and black wire also
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
also i am just checking ohms with out running engine right