Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Suzuki boulevard C50 light come on when I turn the ignition

Customer Question

Suzuki boulevard C50 light come on when I turn the ignition but the fuel pump does not cycle. I have tested all the fuses and the relay, and all check out. I have changed out the tip sensor just in case so it is not that. I am thinking fuelpump now. It that likely?
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: The ignition turns to the on position and light come on. Handle bars turn fine
JA: What is the model/year of your Suzuki?
Customer: suzuki boulevard C50 2005
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, I have checked all the fuses and the fuel pump relay, checked to see if all wires are connected, swapped out the kill switch, and tip sensor.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did swap out the EMC as well in case it was a computer issue. No dice.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Oops ECM I also had a fuel tuner (cobra Fi2000) attached for a bit but have now taken it off thinking that it might be the issue.
Expert:  Louie replied 19 days ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially and for test purposes, temporarily hardwire to the battery's + terminal the wire from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump. By process of elimination, if the pump still fails to run, then it would be deemed faulty.

Incidentally, are both spark plugs firing?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I am not sure, the pump doesn't run so it doesn't even try to start. If I have the ignition and the kill switch in the on position the lights and display come on. If I press the start button the lights dim slightly but that is it. It does. It even try to turn over and no pump sound when I flip the switch.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I can change the plugs easily enough but I think I would still be hearing the pump regardless of how the plugs are
Expert:  Louie replied 19 days ago.

(Temporarily) Hardwiring the fuel pump directly to the battery is a test/confirmation. The ignition need not be turned on.

The engine need not run but as long as would crank, then the presence of spark can be determine. Please click HERE. This is also a test not only for the spark but for the fuel pump as well. The fuel pump relay needs a trigger, the same trigger for the ignition coil / spark. Hence no spark, no fuel pump relay action = no fuel pump.