michael silva
michael silva, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Owner at Mikes Moto Repair
96918254

2003 Polaris 500 HD. Too much compression for starter to

Customer Question

2003 Polaris 500 HD. Too much compression for starter to turn it over. Can pull start, but it is hard. Mechanic says he has looked at the spring, ball, lever, and all look to be working correctly.
JA: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?
Customer: New starter and battery installed. Will not turn over at all, unless jump starter is on it. Runs very good when started. He set timing on top. Mechanic asked if it was off one gear on bottom if it would still run this good ?
JA: What is the model of your '03 motorcycle?
Customer: 500 hd ......outdoorsman ?
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. Have a Polaris mechanic on it. But he is baffled. Everything looks good on top. hasn't looked at fly wheel bottom side.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Runs good. Just has too much compression. Shows 125#
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2003 Sportsman 500 hd
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  michael silva replied 5 months ago.
Common on polairs, the decompression shaft in the camshaft needs to be replaced. It runs through the center of the cam shaft, they get worn out and develop a flat spot and began to get stuck. Replace part numbers(###) ###-####3085076