Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Need to remove the ignition switch on my 07 V Star 1300.

Customer Question

Need to remove the ignition switch on my 07 V Star 1300. Have everything off and need to remove the two bolts attaching the switch to the forks. They don't appear to be removable as there are no slots or socket holes in them. What do I do?
JA: Has the car been stalling out?
Customer: lost the keys for it and need to take the switch in to have it rekeyed.
JA: What is the model of your '07 motorcycle?
Customer: Yamaha V Star 1300
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am removing the switch myself and just need to get these two bolts off to remove it from the bike.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's it.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 24 days ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, these are 'security' bolts thus are tamperproof screws; i.e. when tightened, the top portion breaks off.

Thus being so, the only way to remove would be to drill out the remaining top portion with a suitable size drillbit.

In most instances, the remaining top portion would shear away while still drilling and the ignition switch can now be removed.

In some others, an easyout may be needed. Please click HERE.