Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Second opinion] - I have a Suzuki Blvd c 90 that when I push

Customer Question

Second opinion] - I have a Suzuki Blvd c 90 that when I push the start button nothing happens. First time this has ever happened
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes I put a meter on it and got 12.1
JA: What is the model of your '90 Suzuki?
Customer: It's a c90 2005
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: From another post it asked to get a voltage reading with the key on and key off the difference went down to 11.8 then I pushed the start button and it actually went up .1
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Did you recieve my last message?
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Louie replied 27 days ago.

Hi and welcome to back the site, I’m Louie for the second opinion. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, with everything wired as should be, can you try starting with the clutch lever pulled in and the side stand folded up?

Still, let's review the basics. Proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) :

• re-inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring ;
  • • more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  • • then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay;
  • • cautiously jump the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Expect a big spark. Starter motor should turn;
  • • the resulting sound/noise, electrical reaction should help point to the likely suspect.