Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a yamaha viragowhen i bought it it ran great, it sat

Customer Question

I have a yamaha virago(###) ###-####when i bought it it ran great, it sat for 6 months the old owner had bought a certified ser of rebuilt carbs I barely made it need home about 10 blocks, i thought it needed fresh gas a little sea foam, nope changed plugs, nope. so i put the new carbs on no, i took it to a yamaha shop, they said the carbs need rebuilt, 525$ later so I ,picked it up, it ran better but still takes about 30 min to warm up and still backfires, sometimes it seems like it is running on one cylinder, when it kicks in it about does a wheelie, new plugs, non-ethanol gas clean and tight air filter i cant afford to do this again, please help chris
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done):

• • determine burn color of spark plug tips;
  • re-check to ensure correct fitting of original air box and air filter with no possible air leak;
  • • drain / collect individually contents of carb bowls to compare quantity and quality;
  • • consider a compression test or better yet, a leak down test.