kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experience in Harley Davidson and Triumph
68360881

I do not have clutch pressure in my 12 kawasaki zx-14. is

Customer Question

i do not have clutch pressure in my 12 kawasaki zx-14. is very difficult to engage a gear, i do not see any leak, how can i get back the pressure in the clutch?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 7 months ago.

Hello, have you noticed any loss of fluid in the clutch master cylinder? Reason I ask is the slave cylinder can leak internally into the engine and the loss no be noticeable as a leak.

Hello, I have an alert that you replied but your reply is not showing up. Please try posting it once more.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
externally no leak, but after some days, the level in fluid goes low but i can not see any fluid. how can i check that internal leak?

Thanks, you'll need to pull the clutch slave cylinder. When you do you'll likely find fluid leaking from it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the slave cylinder is a part located in the clutch master cylinder (where is the brake lever) OR below next to the engine generator left side. do i need to replace only the o-ring? replace the complete part? this bike has less 10.000 miles but i had a fall in this side (strong accident) and the clutch cover in the engine is cracked.

IT's the part by the generator. You'll need to replace the complete part with O ring.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
we are talking about the sleeve with a o- ring in the clutch master cylinder, located in the lever, correct?

No the one down on the engine by the generator. Should be a couple bolts and an o ring on the lip that goes into the engine.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
could you tell me which seal in the diagram i must purchase, i am not sure which one.

92026 is the seal that goes between the slave cylinder and engine, you'll need that one and either the whole slave cylinder or the rebuild kit. I'd go with the whole cylinder vs rebuilding if you have never rebuilt one before.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the whole cylinder is 13231??

That's correct

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
after the installation, in order to get pressure is the same as bleed the brakes? some shortcut to get pressure faster?

Yes same as brakes, good shortcut is to get a piece of hose that fits over the bleed and a glass bottle. Fill the bottle half way with clutch fluid, put hose over bleeder and other end in bottle of fluid. Crack your bleeder and pump clutch until there are no bubbles then close bleeder. Saves a ton of time and fluid.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the accident could damaged the clutch slave?

It may have cracked inside where you cannot see it. Usually the seal 92049 is what wears and leaks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i check the part in local dealer and is very expensive. do you think if i replace only 92026 i will resolve the issue? i have experience removing the inner cylinder and change o-rings for example in the master cylinder.

92049 is the seal that leaks lets fluid leak out the slave. 92026 seals the slave to engine so no engine oil leaks.

You can give it a go on replacing 92049. Use comprpessed air to pop the piston out of it. (13256) and inspect the piston to see if there's any wear on it. Use the blowgun where the clutch line goes in and hold your hand over the cylinder so it doesn't going flying.If it looks ok polish it up with some 1500-2000 grit dans paper.

Youll then need to pop out seal 92049 with a seal puller or scredriver. Install the new one with a seal driver or a socket that fits over the seal and drive it in.

Lube the seal where the piston contacts it with some motor oil then install the piston.

You can now use your new 92026 gasket and install the slave cylinder back on the bike and bleed the system.