Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

The tongue of my battery side cover on a 2007 Vstar 650

Customer Question

The tongue of my battery side cover on a 2007 Vstar 650 custom doesn't seat into the upper right grommet. This allows the lower right of the cover to come in contact with the exhaust pipe and both destroy the paint and melt the cover. How can I fix this problem?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi Richard and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, the described issue almost always point to the battery and/or the cables and wiring pushing against the cover. The only corrective action would be to re-work on these parts so as to afford the battery side cover more free space and not have anything pushing against it.

Please post back with clear closeup pictures of the battery and the inside area covered by this "...battery side cover..." Click HERE.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
All cables are in proper location and do not prevent cover's tongue from seating. Cover appears to contact silver screw head (upper right of photo) just beyond the grommet which is supposed to accept tongue. This prevents tongue from fully inserting into grommet and catching.
Expert:  Louie replied 29 days ago.

It is my understanding that the cover is designed to contact/cover this screw head. Please click HERE.

Bear with me; can you please try with the taped harness above the red battery cable re-positioned a bit lower and the red cable to the starter relay pushed deeper?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Both of those cables have cut-outs within the plastic ribbing in which they fit. Both are in their respective cutouts. They cannot go any deeper. The cover is not in contact with those cables.The edge of the cover is in contact with the silver screw head and no matter how I adjust the wiring the cover will not go any further due to its contacting the screw head. When in position the edge of the cover bisects the screw head such that half of the head is visible when the cover is as far in as it can be. The tongue is within the grommet hole but needs to go about 1/4" further for it's flange to catch.and seat properly. It is stopped by the edge of the cover hitting the screw head.
Expert:  Louie replied 29 days ago.

Appreciate the additional information and earlier pictures.

Offhand and based on these, a possibility that comes to mind would be that whole metal portion holding the upper right grommet has bent out of position; i.e. ¼ deeper.

But then, not being there is a big disadvantage making everything from my end guess work.

Let me re-open the question in the hope of an alternate approach from another member oand/or a second opinion.

Still, good luck with the Yamaha.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
The fact that the problem was with the grommet holding metal occurred to me also. The last time I tried working with the cover I bent the metal forward but the problem is that the place that the dart/lip of the tongue is supposed to catch on is connected to a support bracket which does not bend. I can bend the back of the grommet holder forward but the catch place moves little. The only solution I can think of is to grind off about 1/4" from the end of the cover where it contacts the screw head. This will allow the cover tongue to fully penetrate the grommet and catch.
Expert:  Louie replied 29 days ago.

Might also be worth checking comparing the new and old covers particularly the area that covers/touches the screw.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I bought the bike used a month ago. It came with the original cover. I know this because the paint color was just used for that one year. It had the trouble fitting we've discussed. I looked up on the Yamaha web site parts listing for bikes prior to and after my bikes date (1998-2009). The part number for the battery cover was the same for all years. I purchased the Clymer Maintenance/Repair manual. It calls the post what I refer to as the tongue, but their mounting directions are the same as I have been doing.I purchased from Ebay a replacement battery cover for my model. It is from a different year but still within the ages that I looked up on the Yamaha site. It is identical to the one that came with the bike, has the same post, and has the same fitting issue. . Aside from grinding down the cover edge which contacts the screw head, have you come up with any other suggestions?
Expert:  Louie replied 28 days ago.

Sorry, none as it would appear that grinding would be the only available option/workaround.