Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Wont turn over. new battery new solenoid .fuses checked.

Customer Question

wont turn over . new battery new solenoid .fuses checked . seems as if the starter button is dead , fuel pump just clicks . no voltage to starter motor can jump out solenoid and starter will crank over .
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: no new battery
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: 1995 suzuki intruder 800
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have checked the clutch safety switch , the kick stand switch , the nuetral safety switch makes no differance . is there MASTER CIRCUIT BREAKER AND IF SO WHERE IS IT and what does it look like .
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially and on "...is there MASTER CIRCUIT BREAKER AND IF SO WHERE IS IT...", I don't recall a 95 to still have a circuit breaker but if it would, it would be behind/near the fuse box. A way to determine if indeed no circuit breaker on your version would be the existence of a 25 or 30 Amp fuse in the fuse box. And the alternative would also hold true; no 25 or 30 A fuse, then there would likely be a circuit breaker.

Have you tried starting with the side stand folded up and the clutch lever pulled in?

Still, proposed preliminary checks (if have not been tried):

• • other than the "...clutch safety switch , the kick stand switch , the nuetral safety switch...", likewise check the sidestand relay, ignition switch, the engine stop switch and the starter button switch;
  • • ensure that the starter solenoid's black/white wire is tied to a good ground;
  • • trace the starting +12V from the:
  • - orange/yellow wire from the fusebox to the side stand relay;
  • - black/red wire from the side stand relay to the engine stop switch;
  • - orange/whitewire from the engine stop switch to the starter button; and
  • - yellow/green wire from the starter button to the starter relay;

Additionally (and again if have not been done), re-inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring. In some instances, it may be an advantage to hardwire a secondary ground BUS; i.e. from the battery's - terminal to the frame, to the engine and to the harness' black wires.