Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 2004 Honda foreman rubicon 4x4 atv that was running

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Honda foreman rubicon 4x4 atv that was running fine but all of a sudden it will only idle. when you hit the throttle it cuts off. I think its in the carb as I have taken it apart and cleaned it but I think the vacuum diapham is not working in the carb. I don't see any damage to the diapham itself
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, is everything stock? ...no mods? ...not aftermarket/performance parts?

Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Still, proposed preliminary tries / checks (if have not been done):

• • check-drain-clean tank and replace with fresh fuel (even if just to eliminate as a suspect);
  • • carefully remove the spark plug and check the burn color of the ceramic to the tip;
  • • drain the carb bowl to determine fuel qunatity and quality stored there;
  • • check/ensure original air box and air filter correctly installed with no possibility of an air leak.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the bike is totally stock. never riden hard as I am 60 and all of the suggestions you made I already did. like I said it look like the vacuum diapham is not rising to open the throttle so when you give it gas it dies
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I checked the diapham and it doesn't seem to have a hole in it and I blew air into the carb and it raised but when I hit the throttle it doesn't raise and open the throttle. the bike just dies
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Bear with me:

• spark plug color?
  • air box and air filter correctly installed with no possibility of an air leak?