Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

Looking at buying an old (1958) BSA from a friend and was

Customer Question

Looking at buying an old (1958) BSA from a friend and was wondering how expensive they are to maintain?
JA: What's the make/model/year of your bike?
Customer: Not sure. Looks like a 1958 BSA
JA: What is the model of your '58 motorcycle?
Customer: Not sure.
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I an new to owning a bike. My friend says it runs rough and needs a tune up. Otherwise it is ok
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want the basics and general idea of what I might be getting myself into
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

sorry about the stupid questions from "JA".

I am not a BSA expert, I don't know of any on here, but I am a vintage HD expert and I think we're on the same page.

the cost to maintain your BSA will be directly related to how much you ride it. it's just like any other motorcycle that is no longer supported by the factory. you have to realize most parts and gaskets are no longer available. some replacement parts will nee to fabricated, and THAT gets expensive. the bike is a museum piece. if you choose to ride it, you will need to deal with the reality of keeping it running. I own a 1998 Buell S3, which has no factory support from Buell and only what's left n stock from HD. I find a lot of parts on e-bay....for now.

the bot***** *****ne is, if you polish it up and look at it, it will make a nice piece for any collection. but if you intend to ride it, you will need good support from any rider groups you can find and understand you may have to park it if you can't get the parts you need to keep it running.

Steve