Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

2006 Suzuki Eiger 400. Fuel petcock is bad, can't get one

Customer Question

2006 Suzuki Eiger 400. Fuel petcock is bad, can't get one here for the weekend. Is there a way to bypass it so it will run? Thanks
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: No it will not run. Starts then dies. but will run briefly disconnecting the fuel line from petcock.
JA: What is the model of your '06 Suzuki?
Customer: Eiger 400
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fixing myself i know the petcock is bad. Need to know if there is a way to bypass as it is vacuum controled
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially and depending on the version, the PRI position would allow fuel flow even if no vacuum (engine not running).

On the other hand and if no PRI position, then bypass would be to change the location of the spring pushing on the diaphragm. The diaphragm when there is no vacuum turns off fuel flow by the force of the spring. When there is vacuum, the diaphragm is drawn resulting to a valve opening allowing fuel flow.

The above of course would only be possible if the vacuum valve ass'y can be opened.