Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Looking for help with my 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI - LE

Customer Question

Looking for help with my 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI - LE I have a couple of issues going on. 1- I had purchased a new battery, and the problem is that the quad has been sitting for a few months ( I keep it 2 hrs away at my hunting site). Although the battery loses power, when I connect a battery charger/jumper to it, and I use the 75 amp start mode, The machine does not even crank. The accessory/dash lights up, i turn the key, and I get ONE click. What can I do next? 2- The pull start rope is stuck in the out/extended position. I took the cover off, and and I discovered a situation that does not look good. I assume water was in there and it has rusted everything. I can post pics. Need to know my options I require some in depth detail, and I have no problem with adding generous gratuity. Thank you all for your time Thank you LOU

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 7 months ago.

Good morning Lou, couple of quick questions;

1. When you hit the starter does the drive come out to engage the flywheel?

2. Have you tried turning the engine manually, like with a screwdriver in the flywheel teeth?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Morning,

The drive was actually out, and we pushed in back in, I did not try to turn it manually.

First steps I would take is removing the spark plug and trying to turn it manually. There looks to have been a good bit of water intrusion, possibly enough to get in the engine and cause some issues.

If you can get it to turn over manualy, go ahead and change the oil and we can see about getting the starter diagnosis going. I'm fairly sure it either hydrolocked from water in the cylinder or rust on the bearings.

Let me know what you find and we can go from there.