Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

When I try to start it it makes a constant clicking noise.

Customer Question

When I try to start it it makes a constant clicking noise. All the lights turn on but just won't start
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Started yesterday and it seems to be coming near the battery
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: It's an atv Honda recon 250 year 2016
JA: What year is your motorcycle?
Customer: 2016
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to pin point the problem to fix myself. I checked the battery and spark plugs I also can't pull start it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's an atv not a motoy Motorcycle
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's review the basics. Proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) :

• • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring ;
  • • more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  • • then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay/solenoid;
  • • jump the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Expect a big spark. Starter motor should turn;
  • • if yes, but the starter relay still only clicks when attemtping to start, then the starter relay is likely faulty;
  • • if not, then the starter motor and/or battery-cables would be the suspect.