Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

New polaris ranger motor rebuild was running amazing for

Customer Question

new polaris ranger motor rebuild was running amazing for about a week then driving down the road all the oil dump out of the engine causing the engine to blow again. Strange thing is we cant figure out where all the oil came out and why
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: when the engine was rebuild last week
JA: What year is your Ranger?
Customer: 2012
JA: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no a machnic friend
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 9 days ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

I need some more details about this to be able to fully assist you in diagnosing the cause of the failure.

First, is the same mechanic fixing it this time that fixed it last time?

What was the cause of failure or the reason the engine was rebuilt the last time?

What was damaged?

What parts were replaced the 1st time?

Was the drain plug still in place after the failure?

Did it break a rod and throw it through the cases?

If not, what is damaged this time?

What brand and weight of oil were you using when it failed each time?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

same mechanic working on it now. Last time it ran out of oil im guessing and put a rod out the case. The whole engine was rebuilt crank piston the works. Case was welded. The only thing the mechanic can think of is it pushed it all out the air filter. However the air filter its self had no oil on it. he could see no signs of anything on the out side that showed where the oil would have come from. We did smell burning oil during that week but attributed it to it being a new motor build with oil burning off of it. There was only 1/2 a qourt left in the engine. the rest was on the road. Drain plug was in at least thats what he is telling me. Case was fine. He did mention maybe a little leak on the head casket but that it would not be the problem. When i looked under it the oil that was draining out was coming from the front side of the engine towards the driver but i could not see where its was coming from.

Expert:  RSRBOB replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Two things I have gotten out of this. 1st, his rebuild only lasted about a week. 2nd, he cannot tell (or wont) tell you what it failed.

I don't know you or him, or what your relationship is with him, but in the industry, neither of those conditions are confidence inspiring traits. Is he repairing it for free, as in did he warranty his work? It is hard to think this is anything but a failure that he is responsible for. No matter, if you trust him, that is all that matters.

One thing that is imperative, he needs to determine the cause of failure and correct it so it doesn't do it again in another week. I would really like to see a bunch of pictures of the block and cylinder, head, piston, rings, connecting rod, and anything else that shows damage. That could be real beneficial. And also if you have any of the failed parts from the first failure too.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

I told him the same thing we need to figure out what happened so it does not happen again. He is a long time friend so i dont think he would hide anything from me. Im assuming he is rebuilding it on his dime so no reason to hid something from me. I just does not make any sense to me that that all that oil came out in about two hundred yards and he cant figure out where it came from. He rebuilds these for a living and he says hes never seen anything like it. question is what can fail to cause all the oil to come out but yet not be seen?

Expert:  RSRBOB replied 9 days ago.

The first thing that comes to mind is the rings stick allowing compression to enter the bottom end and pressurize the oil and push it out. There are a lot of things that he says that don't make mechanical sense to me but in fairness to him, it could be due to you repeating it, and his description or explanation is getting lost. That is the main reason I want to see pictures, and lots of them, to see what it looks like. Most failures have a unique "signature" and that is what I am looking for. One thing that I cannot overstate the importance of is sharing all details, no matter how insignificant it might seem to you. That includes answering each question in great detail too. The questions I am asking you are the same questions I would be answering in my mind if I were coming in to investigate this failure. If you can get pictures of those parts I listed, plus any you feel are relative, I would appreciate it.

PS, done for the night, if you have more questions, I will pick them up tomorrow. :)

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

Thank you ill try and see him soon to see if i can get more detail.

Expert:  RSRBOB replied 8 days ago.

Super. I am really interested in as many relevant pictures as you can get. Then I can see what you are seeing and draw my own conclusions based on that, rather than trying to dissect what he is saying.