Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience

When I go to start it up, it will turn and turn and turn a

Customer Question

When I go to start it up, it will turn and turn and turn a bunch of times before it starts. Some times it won't start at all. When it does start I have to keep giving gas otherwise it will stall. I tried to adjust the idle ,at times it's fine but I'll be back to square 1 again trying to start it. Please help me. Thanks
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Ya, by turning it over and over and at times the battery then has to be charged because of so much cranking
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: 2000 Polaris 500 sportsman
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well 1- I checked for spark ... good 2nd checked if fuel filters are plugged... good. 3rd gas tank filters are clean 4th I replace the fuel pump last I replaced the carburetor but it backfires like crazy and was hard to start as well so I put the old one back
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Ya tell me what the heck is going on and what should I look or do next
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 8 days ago.

Hi, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Expert:  Louie replied 8 days ago.

Initially, have you drained tank and replaced with fresh fuel?
Could you please check and post back with the burn color of the spark plug tip?
And have you checked/ensured that the air box and filter are fitted correctly with no possibility of an air leak?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I did not drain the gas tank. However I did remove the filters inside and both are clean the gas tank was empty so I put in fresh gas. Right now the air box is out of place , when I put it in place it wants to bigger out
Expert:  Louie replied 8 days ago.

Can you try checking the spark plug burn color?

It would helps us narrow down suspects; lean, rich, air or vacuum leak.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok I'll have to check it and get back to you tomorrow cause the bike is at my shop
Expert:  Louie replied 8 days ago.

I understand and would look forward to an update tomorrow or when able.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No problem thanks so much
Expert:  Louie replied 8 days ago.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi I'm back and I checked the spark plug and it looks ok . Not black and crispy just dark and gray.
Expert:  Louie replied 7 days ago.

Appreciate the update / information.

With fresh fuel and all others that have been tried/done, it would appear to still be a fuel delivery/starvation issue.

Let's go back to the basics, dis-assemble the carb (again if necessary). Soak and clean all metal parts using a solution similar to the product shown HERE.

In some instances, it may be necessary to use special cleaning brushes such as those featured HERE.

Of particular interest would be the bowl, float height and float needle & seat condition.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.