Emrys, ASE Certified
Experience:  11 years as lead tech, performance and race team exp.

Well, I purchased a 2007 night train and its a 6 speed with

Customer Question

well, I purchased a 2007 night train and its a 6 speed with 96 ci.. after running it for about two hours straight.. it seems to have much power loss and wont idle at stoplights.. I have to keep it running with the throttle... also sounds like it is running off just one cylinder.. let it cool down and it fine till the next 2 hour ride... its leaking alittle oil out from the air breather and is very sluggish when this happens... its completely stock with the exception of the drag pipes... its not had an aftermarket feul management device installed... as I said I have only owned ir a month... Im afraid this bike cant take alittle hard riding... any opinions?
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: no. its not leaking that I can afraid it dropping a cylinder..., Ive rode it on a couple of rides that last about 2 hrs and then is when it happens
JA: What is the model of your '07 motorcycle?
Customer: night train 6 speed 96 ci
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no I haven't... im mechanical inclined... fixed all my racing bikes when I was younger... ran pro motocross.... is this bike going to be able to perfom.. I mean, I like to ride hard
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, if its ignition, compression, or computer, or just a tuning thing
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Emrys replied 6 days ago.
Your issue based on the information you gave sounds like the pipes are the culprit. On a normal carbureted Harley you would have popping on deceleration and possibly some hard starting in cold weather. Since your night Train is fuel injected the bike is attempting to adjust the fuel mixture on the fly, but the pipes trick the bike into thinking it's running lean, so it ups the fuel to compensate and you end up with a bike that won't idle and has drivability issue when hot. Harley also runs the rear cylinder richer (gives it more fuel) to keep it cool since it sit behind the front and doesn't get the same amount of airflow, this will make your problem worse. Since it is already rich and the bike is adding more fuel to compensate for the pipes, you will end up having the rear cylinder cut out when hot because it's over fueled. Good news is that it is a simple fix, just add on a fuel management device and the problem will be gone. On the subject of hard riding, that bike can definitely take it! I owned one that I ended up turbocharging and it was a champion, I beat the crap out of that motor and it ran as good the day I bought it, as the day I sold it. In the current condition (with out fuel mapping) you are safe riding it, besides the headache of it running like crap , it won't cause any harm to the bike.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
thanks, ***** ***** had a feeling I would have to buy one of those 400 dollar devices, is there any cheaper ones that will do a good job?
Expert:  Emrys replied 6 days ago.
You can find them cheaper, I think bazazz made one for the newer Harleys, but the cheaper ones tend to go bad in a few years. My favorite is the newer power commanders, they have auto tune and if you choose to upgrade anything else it's just a quick mapping download and you are done. The Harley tuners are also very good, but they are expensive and usually have to be tuned and installed at a dealership.