Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

I have a 92 hugger sportster and i am trying to figure out

Customer Question

i have a 92 hugger sportster and i am trying to figure out how to convert the speedometer from mechanical to electric
JA: What's the make/model/year of your bike?
Customer: 1992 harley davidson 883 hugger
JA: What is the model of your '92 motorcycle?
Customer: 883 hugger
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i am. i swapped out the wheels for the 99+ 13 spoke mag wheels and they do not have the notch for a mechanical speedometer my transmission since it is pre 95 does not have the sensor trap door
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: the speedometer my bike has mechanical I'm trying to convert it to electric
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 9 days ago.

sorry this took so long, but I have been looking ever since I saw your question appear, and I found what I wanted to show you.

the sensor in the link can be used to operate any Dakota Digital Speedometer and most other brands as well.

here is a link to Dakota Digital.

let me know if you need more help.