Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience

2002 Polaris sportsman no spark. pulling hair out, 2002

Customer Question

2002 Polaris sportsman no spark. pulling hair out
JA: What's the make/model/year of your bike?
Customer: 2002 polaris sportsman700 twin carb
JA: What is the model of your '02 motorcycle?
Customer: sportsman
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes E.T.C. kill gap ok. battery 12.3 volt at rest 11.8 cranking for 15 seconds . thermal breakers test ok. removed black kill switch wire at pod to isolate switch. pick up coil 368 ohms. new rmstator conversion kit. new coil new cdi box new spark plugs. checked gap at excitor coil
JA: How many miles are on the car? When was the last time the plugs were changed?
Customer: 1908 miles yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
problem started when key was accidently left on. Battery ran down. Friend hooked up charger did not realize it was on 60 to 200 amp boost setting.he says he did not turn key on or crank it while it was on that setting but i dont beleive it. Are there any other fuses or fuse links on this model or just the thermal breakers in the plastic bags under the front cover?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also is there a kill of some sort if the oil is too high or low? oil appears to have some fuel in it. I assume he left petcock on it reads over full but not alot. wondered if there is a lock out of some sort. running out of ideas
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
new rmstator kit uses red and black plug in but leaves other stator plug un-used I dont get how that works. I assume there is more than one stator winding and the other winding goes to regulator to provide charge to system. it says that this kit changes from ac to dc system that is similar to what polaris adopted in 2004.
Expert:  Louie replied 13 days ago.

Hi, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's review/check the basics for a no-spark symptom. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • temporarily disconnect the CDI's black KILL wire;
  • • when attempting to start, check for low pulsating voltage from the pickup coil;
  • and high pulsating voltage from the exciter/capacitor charging coil.

Also no "...fuse...fuse links...thermal breakers...oil...lock out..." that can cause no-spark on this particular model.