Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience

2005 Kawasaki 2000 vulcan classic wont start. nothing when

Customer Question

2005 Kawasaki 2000 vulcan classic wont start. nothing when key is turned, no fuel pump lights or speedometer needle movement. 12.89 volts on battery, will turn over if fuse holder jumpered
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 15 days ago.

Hi, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, is the bike completely/electrically dead?

Still, check/replace the main fuse co-located with the starter relay. To locate the starter relay, follow the big cable from the battery's + terminal as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals fo the starter relay.

Please click HERE.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I initially replaced the fuse, same symptoms. I can jumper the relay and the bike turns over, but no fuel pump lights. the handlebar switches are checked out functional. (kill switch and start switch)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
bike is electrically dead w/ 12.89 volts on battery
Expert:  Louie replied 15 days ago.

Appreciate the post back.

A volt/multi-meter would be needed.

Proposed checks (if have not been done):

• • test for the presence and consistency of BAT+12V on the 2 white wires from the starter relay;
  • • similarly test for this BAT+12V on another white wire from the battery's + terminal;
  • • this white wire directly from the battery's + terminal feeds a second 30A main fuse;
  • • with ignition switched On, test for IGN+12V on the brown wire from the ignition switch all the way to the fuse box;
  • • check & replace fuses if warranted;
  • • test also for this IGN+12V on the orange/green and brown/red wires from the fuse box.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok, I have a meter, but it's dark now, so I'll check this in the morning and get back to you as soon as I get the results....
Expert:  Louie replied 15 days ago.

Yes please; an update when able.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I just woke up L. I work 3rd shift (12 hrs) I'll let you know what I find in a little bit
Expert:  Louie replied 14 days ago.

Thanks; when conveniently able.