Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 2006 honda trx 450er and when i try to start it i

Customer Question

Hello i have a 2006 honda trx 450er and when i try to start it i don't get anything, completely dead. Battery is charged and seems to lose charge almost immediately. Also, it won't bump start. Any ideas what it could be? Bad starter?
JA: Does the engine turn over at all? Is this the original starter?
Customer: Starter had been replaced a few years ago. Engine or starter do not make any noise at all, like im not even pressing the button
JA: Are you fixing your CR-X yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm going to try myself if it's an easy fix. Im trying to learn the bike. So far i have just tested the battery and taken plastics off to check for wiring problems
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It happened while riding and just completely died and could not bump start or anything
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's review the basics. Proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) :

• re-inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring ;
  • • more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  • • then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • consider hardwiring a secondary ground path from the battery's - terminal to the frame, to the engine and to the harness' green wires;
  • • check/clean the fuses and fuse holders;
  • • check/trace all the red and red/yellow wires;
  • • check/clean the ignition switch.