Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience

Changed the battery 2007 roadster Yamaha fired right up two

Customer Question

Changed the battery 2007 roadster Yamaha fired right up two days later started the bike it cut of and I can't get it to crank changed spark plugs still nothing, changed fuel line filter still nothing?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 15 days ago.

Hi Beverly, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, have you tried attempting a start with the clutch lever pulled in ?

Still, let's review the basics. Proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) :

• • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring ;
  • • more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  • • then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • consider hardwiring a secondary ground path from the battery's - terminal to the frame, to the engine and to the harness' black wires;
  • • check/clean the fuses and fuse holders;
  • • check/trace +12V on all the red, brown/blue, brown, red/white and red/yellow wires;
  • • check/clean the ignition switch.