Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

Riding my 2013 electra glide classic. rode tonight about 10

Customer Question

riding my 2013 electra glide classic. rode tonight about 10 minutes into it engine light came on and lost a lot of power has 12000 miles and had 10,000 mile maintenance last year once home I checked exhaust from the back I held a piece of paper at the exhaust it appeared good. Left side had only minimal exhaust barely could move paper. Checked spark wires and they were connected ok
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: fluctuate occaisionally. 1 st gear at 3000 rpm could only go 15 mph 2nd gear it wasint as fluxtuating
JA: Are you fixing your Electra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Was riding after dark. ther than changing plugs I don't have the know how. Cant take to dealer right now. Trying to pay my daughters funeral . Not sure what to do
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

your exhaust findings are normal. the HD exhaust system operates as a kind of 2-into1 with a dummy pipe on the left side because.....some people just need 2 pipes out the back.

the first thing you should do is check for diagnostic codes.

The speedometer is capable of displaying and clearing speedometer, tachometer, TSM/TSSM and ICM/ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting should illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag” should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word “none” will appear if there are no DTC’s. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

8 - If DTC’s are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.

9 – Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 – Turn Ignition switch to OFF.

On models not equipped with a tachometer "No Rsp" will appear when the tachometer identifier is selected.

"No Rsp" will also appear if the run/off switch is in the off position when doing this procedure.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve