Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a Honda trx 420 which stops every 10 minutes.Leave it

Customer Question

I have a Honda trx 420 which stops every 10 minutes.Leave it for 5minutes and it goes again.Have checked all basic fuel problems and every thing seems fine.It seemed to get worse a couple of days ago and we ended up with the battery going flat trying to start it.We charged the battery and it went perfect for two days then I turned the hand warmers on one morning and after 30 minutes it stopped.Back to the old habits of waiting 5 minutes and off it goes.The starter seems to wind over at normal rate but if voltage is slightly low can this cause some fuel injection problem?
JA: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?
Customer: The battery is 3 months old.Seems to normally hold a charge fine.If you leave the bike for 5 minutes it starts like there hasn't been a problem.We have changed filter in pump bowl and have taken off hose from pump and heaps of fuel comes out..Should we be able to here fuel pump go every time we turn key on?When we charged battery the fuel pump seemed to sound like it had a bit more grunt with it so could this tell us the fuel pump is a little tired?
JA: What year is your CR-X?
Customer: I think around 2011
JA: Are you fixing your CR-X yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It is a TRX. When it stops we have taken cap of fuel cap.checked fuel between tap and pump.Flicked key on and off to make sure it pumps and have changed filter in pump bowl
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think thats all I can tell you
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially and if the sparks are present and consistent, then it would appear to be a fuel delivery/starvation issue. Proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) on suspects:

• • drain-clean tank and replace with fresh fuel (even if just to eliminate as a suspect);
  • • vent the tank when "...stops every 10 minutes..." occurs again;
  • • re-check/re-clean fuel path;
  • • also try to test battery voltage engine Off, ignition On, attempting to start, idling and when revving;
  • • strongly consider test fuel pump output pressure and consistency.