Emrys
Emrys, ASE Certified
Experience:  11 years as lead tech, performance and race team exp.
68763268

Mixed results from forums on this.. Loose clutch lever when

Customer Question

Hi there. Mixed results from forums on this.. Loose clutch lever when hot after 20 miles on my pan1300. Leave it to cool and comes back. Did not happen on very rainy 200 ml trip in may was the rain cooling something I wonder. Would be very grateful for diagnosis. Done all usual things inc using race oil. Regards roger
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Emrys replied 2 months ago.
Hello, I would be happy to help you on this. To give you some background, when the engine and transmission get hot it causes the clutch, clutch rod and the ramp that engages the clutch to expand.
Expert:  Emrys replied 2 months ago.
To answer your question about the rain, yes the rain most likely kept the engine cool keeping the expansion to a minimum. Do you experience any slippage or difficulty shifting when the bike is hot? If you do, we can walk through adjusting it to prevent it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
07766 335362
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Replied to your e mail yesterday and also asked for a phone call as I am not sure you have enough info to answer my question, but heard nothing except 'please rate my answer'. Maybe you did not get my reply.
The clutch does not need adjusting and works ok at all times. Has not been abused ever. It only plays up when it is hot. Allow it to cool and works ok again. You can feel gradual loss as it gets hot when you loose 10% then 20% then 30% of lever travel etc over the period of 5 miles when hot. Similar when cooling but in reverse. Lever comes back as it cools. No loss of fluid and does not need bleeding. Used race oil too.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sure if you are getting these e mails either. Would like to continue conversation please
Expert:  Emrys replied 2 months ago.
Sorry for the delay, I did not receive a notification for you reply. I can do a live phone call, but need to know your time zone or city and country and a time frame to make the call. After reading your response I am a bit confused on the motorcycle make and model, from your description I gathered it was a Harley Davidson pan head engine, but the fact it is a hydraulic clutch makes me wonder. Let me know what we are talking about exactly (year, make, model, etc) and if I am wrong I will examine the issue again and get you the correct information. Thank you. P.s. I am in southern California so we may not be on the same schedule but I will check this more regularly to keep us from missing each other.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much. I am in UK on GMT. It is a Honda Pan European st1300, 2005 model. Apparently a common fault but no one can give me a cure. Will be available until 9 pm gmt from 7 am amy day. Sorry about times. Roger
Expert:  Emrys replied 2 months ago.
Okay, this question makes a bit more sense with that information.I have actually had a fair bit of experience on the st1300, we had a police contract for maintenance and service. The problem with the clutch system on the 1300 is that it routes in front of the motor and basically sits between the exhaust pipes. This makes the hydraulic fluid break down very fast and also can cause the rubber in the slave cylinder to Crack and leak. With what you have told me, two things stand out:
1. Switching your fluid to race fluid - This is something I would usually recommend done by a shop, most race fluids don't mix well with standard brake fluid (hydraulic fluid) and can cause the fluid to break down and boil a lot sooner then it should.
2. On this bike especially the clutch fluid is extremely hard to bleed properly. On break systems you get positive feedback from the lever (it gets hard to squeeze) giving you a notice that it is air free. Clutches don't do that, and with the motor Temps and exhaust Temps on that bike even a small amount of air will cause lever fading. I tend to only bleed these bikes with a vacuum bleeder and at least a whole bottle extra of fluid sucked through the system.I will be following up with a call as soon as I can!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. Sounds like the slave then. Its a pig to get to I think some say motor out others say you can just about do it. Your thoughts please. Also new slave complete or rebuild kit do you think? Thanks for your reply at least its doesn't sound like the clutch. Regards roger
Expert:  Emrys replied 1 month ago.
It is definitely possible! Generally shops base their time off the "flat rate manual" and that is based of the service manual, so if you were to take it to a dealership they would charge you for the time to pull the motor. Even if I had to loosen the motor and slide it a bit I would not remove it for this. It has been a while but I believe your year requires one muffler, both of the plastics, and the saddle bag on that side. It isn't fun and you may cuss a bit but you can do it.One question I do have is are you loosing fluid? (Is it low and in need of filling ever?)
Expert:  Emrys replied 1 month ago.
Also, I cannot get the phone number to work. I know in the states we have a +1 for country before the number, is there anything like that I am missing?